General insurance is the insurance of non-living objects. General insurance policies are taken to cover goods or assets which, if damaged, cause financial loss to the owner. Besides covering assets, general insurance policies also cover financial costs incurred due to specific perils. For instance, fire insurance policies cover damages suffered due to fire. Similarly, health insurance policies cover the cost of medical expenses incurred in case of a medical contingency.
Why are general insurance policies important?
Every asset has a financial value attached to it. If the asset is damaged or lost, there would be a financial loss. Similarly, in the case of insurable perils, if the perils occur, they cause a financial loss. These financial losses can be substantial which might threaten your financial stability. General insurance policies compensate you for the financial losses which you suffer giving you financial relief. That is why these policies become important and are bought by people looking to secure their finances against possible risks.
Types of general insurance policies
General insurance deals in different types of coverage options. The types of plans which fall under the scope of general insurance include the following – Each of these types of plans has further sub-variants. Let’s understand these variants in brief –
Health insurance policies cover medical contingencies. These plans cover the high costs associated with medical treatments and give policyholders financial relief in a medical crisis. Health insurance plans are available in different types which are mentioned below –
- Indemnity health plans
Indemnity health plans are those which cover the actual medical costs which are incurred on hospitalisation. If the insured suffers any illness or injury and is hospitalised for the same, indemnity health plans would pay the hospital bills incurred up to the sum insured.
Indemnity plans can further be divided into the following types:
- Individual health insurance plans which cover a single individual
- Family floater health insurance plans which cover all family members under the same plan. A single plan is issued which allows coverage for all members of the family. The sum insured is shared between the covered family members independently as well as jointly. Family floater plans usually cover the policyholder, spouse, dependent children and dependent parents.
Browse through our list of popular family floater insurance plans here.
- Fixed benefit health plans
Fixed benefit health insurance plans are the opposite of indemnity plans. These plans cover specific contingencies and if the covered contingency occurs, a fixed, pre-defined benefit is paid to the policyholder irrespective of the actual medical costs incurred.
Fixed benefit health insurance plans come in the following variants –
- Critical illness plans which cover a list of critical illnesses and major surgical procedures. If the insured suffers from any of the covered illness or undergoes any covered procedure, the sum insured is paid in lump sum irrespective of the actual cost of treatment. Read more about critical illness plans here.
- Hospital daily cash benefit plans which cover hospitalisation. If the insured is hospitalised for 24 hours or more, these plans pay a fixed daily benefit for each day of hospitalisation.
- Personal accident plans which cover accidental contingencies. If the insured suffers accidental death or disability, the plan pays a lump sum benefit depending on the contingency suffered.
- Senior citizen plans
Senior citizen health insurance plans are indemnity oriented health insurance plans which cover senior citizens. These plans are specifically designed for individuals aged 60 years and above. Senior citizens can get health insurance coverage even in their old age through senior citizen health plans.
You can browse more on senior citizen health plans on this page and get your loved ones covered against medical expenses in their ‘golden age’.
- Disease specific plans
These plans are designed to cover specific illnesses and the costs incurred in treating them. Disease specific health insurance plans cover either individuals suffering from the covered ailment or individuals who want to protect their finances against specific ailments. Different types of disease specific plans that are available include the following –
- Dengue plans – these plans cover the incidence of dengue and the associated medical costs incurred on its treatment. Individuals who do not suffer from dengue can buy this plan.
- Cardiac care plans – these plans are for individuals who have specified cardiac related medical conditions and have undergone treatment for the same. Cardiac care plans help individuals meet the medical costs associated with their ailments.
- Diabetes plans – diabetes plans are designed solely for diabetics. Individuals suffering from Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes can buy the plan. The plan would cover basic hospitalisation costs and the treatment costs for diabetes related conditions.
- Maternity plans – maternity plans cover the costs incurred in pregnancy and childbirth. These plans are for individuals who are planning on starting a family and having a baby.
Maternity insurance plans help you to become financially prepared for additional expenses during pregnancy. Read more about maternity health plans here.
Health insurance plans help you to stay ahead of time by planning against health risks in the future. Compare and buy the best health insurance plans in a few steps by clicking below.
Travel insurance plans are those which cover the financial contingencies suffered when you are travelling. If you fall sick on a trip and need medical treatments, if you lose your baggage or if you suffer from any other contingency, a travel insurance plan would cover the costs incurred. Travel insurance plans also offer different types of policies which are as follows –
- Single trip policies – these policies cover a single trip taken for a specified duration.
- Annual multi-trip policies – if you take multiple trips in a year, an annual multi-trip policy can be bought. This policy covers an unlimited number of trips taken during a year.
- International travel policies – these policies cover international trips. International travel plans can be designed as country-specific plans too.
- Domestic travel policies – domestic plans cover trips taken within India
- Senior citizen travel insurance – senior citizen travel plans cover individuals aged 60 years and above who go on a trip
- Student travel insurance policies – these policies are specifically designed for students who travel abroad for higher education.
Motor insurance policies are mandatory coverage requirements for vehicles which run in India. The Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 states that every vehicle on Indian roads should have a third party cover on it. As such, motor insurance policies are bought by every vehicle owner. Motor insurance policies can come in the following variants –
- Comprehensive motor insurance policies: These policies cover third party liability as mandated by the law along with own damage of the vehicle. Comprehensive plans can either be:
- Car insurance policies – these policies cover private cars OR
You can browse car insurance policies for your car here
- Two-wheeler insurance policies – these policies cover privately owned two-wheelers
Browse bike insurance policies for your vehicle by clicking here.
- Third party policies – third party plans offer the coverage which has been mandated under the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988. These policies can be taken by any type of vehicle. The policies compensate the financial liability suffered by the owner of the vehicle in case of third party bodily injury or property damage. Turtlemint offers third party bike and car insurance policies at great prices. You may browse through them by clicking on the links below.
- Commercial vehicle insurance – commercial vehicle insurance policies cover commercial vehicles like taxis, trucks, commercial cars, etc.
An insurance policy for your vehicle can provide you coverage against expenses during an unforeseen event such as an accident. Get an insurance plan today and have the freedom and peace of mind to commute through your personal vehicle.
Home insurance plans cover the financial loss suffered if the structure of the home and/or its contents are damaged or lost. Home insurance plans come in three variants which are as follows –
- Structure insurance which insures the structure of the house, i.e. the roofs, walls, etc. against damage or destruction suffered due to natural or man-made causes
- Contents insurance which covers the contents of the home like furniture and fittings, home appliances, jewellery, works of art, etc. If the contents of the home are damaged or stolen, the policy pays the loss suffered
- Comprehensive insurance – this policy combines structure insurance and contents insurance and offers coverage against damage or loss of the structure as well as contents of the home.
Commercial insurance policies are those which are bought by businesses, traders, retail outlets and other types of business establishments to protect against specific risks that they face. There are a lot of variants under commercial insurance.
However, some of the popular types of commercial insurance policies are as follows –
- Fire and burglary insurance – the policy covers damages suffered due to fire and its related perils as well as due to burglary.
- Marine insurance – the policy covers goods being transported from one place to another. Moreover, marine insurance plans are also available to cover the vessel which is transporting the goods from one place to another.
- Workmen’s Compensation insurance – Workmen’s Compensation Act mandates organisations to compensate their workers if they suffer from death or injuries due to the nature of their employment. A Workmen’s Compensation policy covers this payment done by the organisation to its employees if they suffer physical contingencies due to employment.
- Group mediclaim insurance – group mediclaim plans are group health insurance plans which are bought by organisations to cover their employees. Group mediclaim plans can also be bought by other registered groups for their group members.
- Doctor’s Professional Indemnity insurance – this policy covers the liability which doctors and medical professionals face due to error or negligence in discharging their services.
- Directors and Officers Liability insurance – this insurance covers the directors and officers of an organisation against liabilities suffered if they make mistakes in discharging their duties.
- Commercial General Liability – this is a comprehensive policy which covers the liability faced by a business due to any of its activities which harm a third party.
- Crop insurance – crop insurance policies are offered to farmers to protect them against the loss of their crops and the financial liability that they face due to such loss.
- Property insurance – property insurance covers the land and building owned by a business against damage and the loss thereof.
List of Best General Insurance Companies in India (Updated list-2020)
Let’s check in detail the updated list of General Insurance Companies in India –
Acko General Insurance Limited
Acko General Insurance limited started as India’s first digital insurer in 2016 and is the fastest growing insurance company in the country with over 50 million customers. Its joint venture partners include Catamaran, Accel Partners and others. Acko has partnered with major tech companies such as Amazon and Ola. Solvency Ratio of the company for the financial year 2019-2020 is 2.94.
Aditya Birla Health Insurance Company Limited
Aditya Birla Health Insurance Company Limited is a subsidiary of Aditya Birla Capital Limited. Aditya Birla Health Insurance Company was incorporated in 2015 in which Aditya Birla Capital Limited and MMI Strategic Investments hold 51% and 49% shares respectively. As of June 2020, Aditya Birla Capital limited manages an aggregate asset under management around INR 2,560 billion.
HDFC EGRO Health Insurance Company Limited
HDFC EGRO Health Insurance Company was previously known as Apollo Munich Health Insurance Company Limited. It is a standalone health insurance provider which has a range of plans to cater to the needs of every individual. The company has received the Outlook Money: Gold Award Health Insurance provider of the year 2018 for being the best insurance provider in the private sector.
Bajaj Allianz General Insurance Company
Bajaj Allianz General Insurance Company Limited was incorporated in the year 2001 and is headquartered in Pune, Maharashtra, India. The company is a joint venture between Bajaj Finserv Limited and Allianz SE holding 76% and 26% shares respectively. The company has an authorised and paid up capital of INR 140 Crores. IT has registered 28.1% increase in its net profit and revenue growth of 15.6% over the last fiscal year.
Cholamandalam MS General Insurance Company Limited
Cholamandalam Ms General Insurance is one of the leading insurance brands in the country. The company was established in 2005 when Murugappa group and Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance Company of Japan joined hands. The company has achieved a Gross Written Premium (GWP) of INR 41,026 million in the year 2018. During the financial year 2019, the company reported a net profit of INR 178.9 crore on a GDP of INR 4,428.2 crore.
Manipal Cigna Health Insurance Company Limited
Manipal Cigna Health Insurance Company Limited is a joint venture between Manipal Group and Cigna Corporation which came into existence in 2014. The headquartered is located in Mumbai and has 28 branches all over India. It has over 6500 network hospitals and over 20,000 agents all over the country. Solvency Ratio of the company as on 30th June, 2020 is 197%.
Navi General Insurance Limited
Navi General Insurance is a wholly owned subsidiary of Navi Technologies. The company was incorporated on July 5, 2016 and started its business operations in November 2017. It has more than 1.1 million customers as on December 31, 2020 and offers a variety of health, motor, property, commercial and gadget insurance solutions. Navi General Insurance inspires complete trust, assuring customers that it has their best interest at heart. In an industry where security is key, their product offerings and claims processes are fully transparent. Overall, Navi General Insurance provides customers with a sense of empowerment that comes with financial independence through a wide range of well-priced products and a seamless user experience.
Edelweiss General Insurance Company Limited
Edelweiss General Insurance is an Indian Non-government Company and a member of the Edelweiss Group which is a home-grown multinational corporation. The company is registered in Mumbai, Maharashtra with authorised and paid-up capital of INR 5 Lakh. The company was founded in 2017 and currently have over 200 employees. The company has received ‘SAP ACE AWARD 2018’.
Future Generali India Insurance Company Limited
Future Generali India Insurance Company was founded in the year 2006 as a joint venture between Future Group and Generali Group. The company has more than 3000 corporate clients with over 125 branches all over India. The asset under management of the company as on 31st March, 2019 was worth INR 3,629 crores.
Go Digit General Insurance Limited
Owned by Fairfax Group, Go Digit General Insurance Limited has been awarded as the Asia’s General Insurance Company of the year in 2019. It was founded in the year 2016 with headquarter located in Bengaluru, Karnataka. It is a non-life general insurance company currently having a customer base of over 50 Lakh customers.
HDFC EGRO General Insurance Company Limited
HDFC EGRO General Insurance Company Limited was formed as a joined venture between HDFC Limited and EGRO International AG. It has over 120 branches in 106 cities all across the country with over 3000 employees in India. It has been assigned ‘iAAA’ rating by the ICRA which indicates its highest claim paying ability.
ICICI Lombard General Insurance Company Limited
ICICI Lombard General Insurance Company Limited is one of the leading private sector general insurance companies in India. The gross written premium (GWP) of the company is INR 147.89 billion for the financial year 2019. The company was founded in 2001 and owned by ICICI Bank Limited. During the financial year 2018, it has settled 99.9 health insurance claims and 90.8% motor insurance claim thus having a high claim settlement ratio in India.
IFFCO Tokio General Insurance Company Limited
IFFCO Tokio General Insurance Company Limited is a joint venture between Indian Farmers Fertiliser Corporative and Tokio Marine Group in the ratio of 51% and 49% shares respectively. Founded in 2001, it is now one of the most popular insurance companies in India. The company has won Asia’s Top Most Influencer Insurance Leaders Award in 2020. Its claim ratio for financial year 2018-19 is 87% for motor insurance and 102% for health insurance.
Kotak Mahindra General Insurance Company Limited
Incorporated in December 2014, Kotak Mahindra General Insurance Company Limited is 100% subsidiary of Kotak Mahindra Bank Limited. It received an approval to start a general insurance business by IRDA in April 2015 and it commenced its operations from December 2015.
Liberty General Insurance Limited
Liberty General Insurance Limited is a joint venture between Liberty Citystate holdings PTE Limited and Liberty Industries Limited. It was formed in 2013. The claim settlement ratio of the company for financial year 2018-19 was 91%. It has over 5000 partner hospitals and 4300 partner garages.
Magma HDI General Insurance Company Limited
Magma HDI General Insurance is a privately owned company held by Magma Fincorp Limited and HDI Global SE from Germany. It has over 135 offices all over India with customer base of 24 Lakhs. With 1.24 lakhs claims settled till date, the claim settlement ratio of the company is 91.85% for the financial year 2018-19.
Max Bupa Health Insurance Company Limited
Max Bupa is a standalone health insurance company which was formed in 2010 when two reputed companies- Max India Limited and Bupa joined hands. From December 2019 onwards, Max Bupa Limited has exited its shares and is transferred to Fettle tone LLP. It has more than 4000 network hospitals in 190 countries all across India.
National Insurance Company Limited
National Insurance Company Limited is owned by the Government of India. It is one of the four public sector companies in the general insurance segment in India. It was incorporated in Kolkata in 1972. It has over 1730 offices all over India and also has an office in Nepal. It has more than 13000 skilled employees and over 50000 agents in India. It is India’s oldest general insurance company.
Raheja QBE General Insurance Company Limited
Raheja QBE General Insurance is a joint venture between Raheja Group and QBE Insurance with 74% and 26% shareholding respectively. The head office of the company is situated in Mumbai. It has a wide network of 5000+ hospitals and 1300+ garages.
Reliance General Insurance Company Limited
Reliance General Insurance Company Limited Founded in 2000, the company is a 100% subsidiary of Reliance Capital, a part of Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group. It has 139+ offices and 28900+ intermediaries across India. It has more than 4000 network hospitals and more than 3800 network garages. The company has received ‘’ET Best Brands’’ award at ET Edge Award 2019.
Religare Health Insurance Company Limited
Launched in July, Religare Health Insurance Company is 100% subsidiary of Religare Enterprises Limited. It has been awarded as the Best Health Insurance Company of the year 2019. It has a claim settlement ratio of 93%. The company has 122+ offices with employee strength of 5000+.
Royal Sundaram General Insurance Company Limited
Royal Sundaram General Insurance Company Limited is a joint venture between Sundaram Finance, Ageas Insurance International N.V and other shareholders in the ratio of 50%, 40% and 10% respectively. The company has over 4.50 million customers, 2000+ employees and 156 branches across India.
SBI General Insurance Company Limited
SBI General Insurance Company Limited is a collaboration of State Bank of India and Insurance Australia Group (IAG) which commenced its operations in 2010. It has SBI network of 22000+ branches in over 125 branches across India. The company has over 6.8 customers served till date. It has over 6000 network hospitals.
Shriram General Insurance Company Limited
Established in 2008, Shriram General Insurance Company Limited is a 100% subsidiary of Shriram Capital Limited. It has been awarded ‘Best General Insurance Company of the year, 2019’. It is the India’s fastest growing insurance company.
Star Health and Allied Insurance Company Limited
Star Health and Allied Insurance Company limited was formed as a joint venture of ICICI Ventures, Oman Insurance Company, Sequoia Capital, Alpha TC holdings and Tata Capital Growth Fund in the year 2006. The company has 9,900 network hospitals, 2.95+ lakhs agents and over 4.9 million claims settled since its inception. The company has been awarded ‘Best BFSI Brands 2019’ by Economic Times.
Tata AIG General Insurance Company Limited
Tata AIG General Insurance Company Limited is a collaboration of Tata Group and American International Group (AIG). The company commenced its operations in January 2001. It has over 5000 network garages and over 5200 network hospitals all across the country. It has more than 5 crore customers since its inception and is known to have issued more than 1 crore policies last year. The company has an asset base of approximate INR 10,050 crores as on 31st March, 2019.
The New India Assurance Company Limited
Founded by Sir Dorabji Tata in 1919, The New India Assurance Company Limited is a 100% Government owned company headquartered in Mumbai, India. It is the largest public sector general insurance company operating in 128 countries. The company has been rated ‘AAA’ by CRISIL since 2014. The solvency ratio of the company, as on the fourth quarter of 2020, stands at 2.11.
The Oriental Insurance Company Limited
Oriental Insurance Company Limited was incorporated in 1947 as wholly owned subsidiary of Oriental Government Security Life Assurance Company Limited but now it is owned by the Central Government of India. The company has its head office at New Delhi with 29 regional offices and nearly 1800+ operating offices in various cities in India. The premium figure of the company at the end of the year 2018-19 stood at Rs.13, 199 crores.
United India Insurance Company Limited
Established in 1938, United India Insurance Company Limited is one of the oldest companies in the insurance sector in India. The company has over 14000 employees spread across 2276 offices providing insurance to 1.74 crore customers. The headquarters of the company are situated in Chennai and it also has presence in more than 200 Tier II and Tier III villages in India.
Universal Sompo General Insurance Company Limited
Universal Sompo General Insurance Company Limited is a privately held company owned collectively by Indian Overseas Bank, Allahabad Bank, Dabur Investments, Karnataka Bank Limited and Sompo Japan Nipponkoa Insurance Incorporation. The company was found in 2007 with its headquarters in Mumbai.
Specialized general insurance companies
The above-mentioned companies offer general insurance solutions for retail as well as commercial clients. Besides these companies, there are two specialized general insurance companies which deal in only specialized general insurance products. These companies and their product profile is as follows –
1. Agriculture Insurance Company of India Limited
The Agriculture Insurance Company of India Limited is a Government owned general insurance company which deals only in agriculture insurance policies. The policies are designed to offer financial security to farmers and are specialised as per the needs of specific farmers.
2. Export Credit Guarantee Corporation of India Limited
ECGC Limited is also owned by the Government of India. The company offers specialised general insurance policies to protect the credit risks involved in the export of goods. The policies of the company are designed to cover export credit risks faced by exporters, banks, MSMEs and other financial institutions.
Incurred Claims Ratio of general insurance companies
To estimate the profitability of a general insurance company, the Incurred Claim Ratio of the company is taken into consideration. The ratio is determined as the amount of claims paid by the insurance company against the total premiums received in a financial year. The higher the ratio, the higher the claim experience of the company.
Here is the Incurred Claim Ratio of different general insurance companies for the financial year 2017-18:
Top 5 tips to choose the best general insurance company
With more than 30 general insurance companies in the market, it becomes difficult to choose the best company to buy insurance from.
So, here are five useful tips using which you can choose the best general insurance company –
- The range of plans offered
In all types of general insurance policies there are different variants. Though all companies offer different variants, the trick is in the variety of plans in each variant. The more the variety of plans offered by the company, the more flexibility you can have in choosing the coverage benefits that you require.
- Coverage offered
Coverage should be carefully compared between the different plans of general insurance companies. A plan which offers a wider scope of coverage would be better as you would be covered against higher eventualities. The company offering the best coverage features would be the best insurer to choose.
- The premium charged
When comparing general insurance companies, always compare the premiums vis-à-vis the coverage offered by the company. The company offering the lowest rate of premium for similar coverage benefits would be the best company.
- The ease of claim settlements
The purpose of insurance is to compensate you for the loss that you suffer in a contingency. However, at the time of compensation of the loss, if the insurance company takes too much time or does not settle your claims satisfactorily, the purpose of insurance would be defeated. So, when comparing general insurers, compare the ease with which they settle claims and their historical claim settlement record. A company which settles its claims easily and has a good track record of settling its claims would be the best.
- Value-added benefits
In a bid to outdo their competitors, general insurance companies offer various value-added benefits in their insurance policies. For instance, in the case of motor insurance policies, companies can offer free roadside assistance cover to woo customers. Similarly, in health insurance plans, companies offer free doctor consultations, assessment of health, etc. These value-added benefits enhance your insurance experience and so the company offering the best and the most benefits would be the best. When comparing general insurance companies you should keep these tips in mind. They would help you select the best insurer for your insurance needs.
Turtlemint also sells general insurance policies. You can buy a variety of general insurance policies online on Turtlemint. Turtlemint offers you a chance to compare the best policies offered by leading insurance companies and then buy a plan. Moreover, Turtlemint’s team give you personalised assistance in buying the product so that you can buy the policy after complete knowledge of its technical details. Buying from Turtlemint is simple. All you have to do is visit www.turtlemint.com. There, on the home page you can get the options of different types of general insurance plans – Car, Two-wheeler and Health. You can choose the type of policy you need, enter all the relevant details and then you can check the available plans. Turtlemint gives you the facility to compare the different plans available in the market. You can compare and choose the best policy. Besides letting you buy general insurance plans, Turtlemint also helps you with your claims. You can inform Turtlemint and Turtlemint’s team would help you get the settlement of your claim easily.
Buy general insurance from Turtlemint by clicking on the button below: