The Government of India introduced an innovative idea of Aadhaar Card to provide each Indian citizen with a unique identification number through which any individual can be identified with no trouble. Aadhaar also comes of great use in several financial transactions to prove the authenticity of the aadhaar holder. Also, with aadhaar, you can get several benefits and this document comes as a vital document. Thus, over the period of time Aadhaar card became an important document that gives a person an integrated storing facility of your biometric and personal details. Let us see briefly what is an Aadhaar card.
What is an Aadhaar Card?
Aadhaar Card is a distinct 12-digits number issued to Indian citizens by the Unique Identification Authority of India or UIDAI, on the basis of their biometric statistics and demographic data. Worth mentioning here that in India, for the first time, an identity document is also issued to children and infants.
Scope of Aadhaar
The sole purpose of Aadhaar Card is to use the same as a proof of identity; nevertheless, it has several other usages in various aspects of our daily lives and is considered to be a crucial document. You can use the Aadhaar card as an identity proof for getting a passport or for opening a new bank account etc. The importance of Aadhaar card is growing day by day and hence it is very important to have your details updated or corrected all the time so that you do not miss out on any important communication for your Aadhaar card.
Need or Importance for an update in Aadhaar details
After you enrol yourself for obtaining an Aadhaar Card and after you receive the same, you must check all the details whether they are captured correctly or not. Also, if you are changing your residence, or moving to a different place, you need to change your address in aadhaar card, since the address is a very important part in your demographic details to prove your residence. UIDAI has given the facility to do all these activities online and you can visit their official site https://ssup.uidai.gov.in/ssup/- Aadhaar Self Service Update Portal SSUP for you to do the needful. An important point to note here is that corrections or updates allowed in your Aadhaar card data under two groups which are your demographics and biometrics details. Demographics means you will be able to change your name, date of birth, email, address, cell number, and gender, whereas Biometrics changes comprise of iris scan, fingerprints, and photographs. Point to note here is you can make changes in the address online or offline, but for changes in any other data or information, you need to visit the nearest permanent enrolment centre.
Here we will talk about the various aspects of aadhaar card address change in detail for a better understanding.
Methods of Aadhaar card address change
There are various methods by which you can have your Aadhaar card address change or aadhaar address update. They are mentioned as below:
- Via an Enrolment Centre: You can simply visit any nearest Enrolment Centre and get your Aadhaar card address change or aadhaar address update done by filling up the update/ correction form with necessary supporting documents.
2. By Online method:
UIDAI has given an online interface to you for doing an Aadhaar card address change via the SSUP portal as mentioned above. This process takes much lesser time as its simple and very easy to follow as compared to other offline methods of Aadhaar card address change. But a very important point for you to note here is that the process of online Aadhaar update or modification will require your mobile number registered with your aadhaar and you would also need to verify the same for security purposes. As online Aadhaar card address change would need an OTP verification procedure which will be sent to your registered mobile number only.
You can download the form from the UIDAI website, https://uidai.gov.in/images/aadhaar_enrolment_correction_form_version_2.1.pdf, fill-up the form and send to UIDAI address with necessary proof of your address.
4. Through an AUA – Authentication User Agency Centre:
This means it will be used by selected Registrar who would also become AUA’s. UIDAI may provide an application for any kind of update. The Registrars who are chosen for such updates will be identified as those Registrars who are known to gather, create, own and or manage a particular demographic field and will be a custodian of such information or data.
5. Through ASK – Aadhaar Seva Kendra You may visit any nearest Aadhaar Seva Kendra for the below-mentioned services:
- Enrolment for Aadhaar
- Update of any Demographic Information in your Aadhaar – Name, Aadhaar card address change or aadhaar address update, Gender, Date of Birth, Mobile number or Email Id
- Update of any Biometric data in your Aadhaar – Photo, Fingerprints and Iris Scans
- Compulsory Biometric update of children who are reaching 5 and 15 years of age Download & Print Aadhaar
Steps involved to do Aadhaar card address change under each method as mentioned above
Now that we have understood the various ways by which we can go ahead and do an Aadhaar card address change or aadhaar address update, let us see the steps involved in each of the above methods so that you are familiar with the same.
- Aadhaar card address change via an Enrolment Centre You can follow the below steps when you are visiting the enrolment centre. It is suggested that you must book an appointment before you visit to save your time and complete the process of the Aadhaar card address change smoothly. Else you can also just locate the nearest enrolment centre under the “Get Aadhaar” option and visit the centre.
Step 1: Visit the official website of UIDAI https://uidai.gov.in/and select on “Book Appointment” below “Get Aadhaar” under “My Aadhaar” in the homepage
Step 2: Select your “City/ Location” As shown below
Step 3: Fill in your mobile number and complete the captcha verification process
Step 4: Click on “Manage Appointment” tab, and you will get to see another screen as shown Below and then click on “Update Aadhaar” as shown below
Step 5: You will be taken to a new page wherein you need to fill in the relevant details, and then proceed to fill information under each tab and choose a time slot and book an appointment.
Step 6: Ensure to take the relevant documents with you as your address proof and visit the enrolment centre where you will be given an acknowledgement receipt containing a URN number- Update Request Number with which you can track your request for aadhaar card address change
2. Aadhaar card address change by Online method:
You may follow the below-mentioned steps when you are using the SSUP portal to do aadhaar card address change online with and even without any proof of address documents. Let us see one by one as below:
Aadhaar card address change With Valid Documents
Step 1: Visit the official website of UIDAI https://uidai.gov.in/and select on “Update your address online” below “Update your Aadhaar” under “My Aadhaar” in the homepage
Step 2: You will get to see a page as shown below where you need to click on “Proceed to update Address”
Step 3: You need to enter your Aadhaar number or your VID -Virtual Id number and complete the captcha verification process
Step 4: You need to enter your Aadhaar number or your VID -Virtual Id number and complete the captcha verification process and request for an OTP. After receiving the OTP in your registered cell number, fill in the same and click on the “Login” button
Step 5: You will see a page like below where the options will show as “Update Address via Address Proof” and “Update Address via Secret Code”. The first option will be applicable in case you are having valid documents of address proof, while the second option will be pertinent, where you do not have address proof and requested for an “ Address Validation Letter” which is sent to a verifier who will confirm your address on behalf of you and the letter will have a secret code for verification. We will see the second option detail after this
Step 6: You would need to update or change your address details
Step 7: After the above step, you need to attach the coloured scan of your address proof as per the valid list of documents. Review the information or data that you have entered for its accuracy and fullness in English with the local language as well. UIDAI will not do any corrections to the data or information in your request
Step 8: Submit your request for aadhaar card address change. Note your Update Request Number (URN) for you to track the request. You may also download or print the copy of your acknowledgement
Aadhaar card address change Without Valid Documents
You need to follow the below steps for aadhaar card address change online via Address Validation Letter Request when you do not have any address proof documents:
Step 1: You need to initiate the request
- Log in with Aadhaar in the UIDAI website as mentioned above in the same way
- Enter the Aadhar of the Verifier
- You will get an SRN- Service Request Number
Step 2: Consent from the Address Verifier, when he received the relevant link for his or her consent in their mobile
- Verifier clicks on the given link
- Verifier logs in with his or her Aadhaar
- Verifier provides his or her permission
Step 3: You need to submit the request after you receive a confirmation for the permission given by the verifier
- You need to log in with the given SRN
- Review the Address
- Edit Local Language, if at all needed
- Submit the request
Step 4: Secret Code Submission
- You get the Address Validation Letter with the Secret Code through the post
- Log into the SSUP Portal
- Update your Address via the Secret Code
- Review the new address and submit your final request
- You will receive a URN for checking the status later
3. Aadhaar card address change by Post You can send a request for aadhaar card address change via post also to the UIDAI by following the below steps:
Step 1: Visit the official website of UIDAI and download “Aadhaar card data update/correction form”
Step 2: Fill in the necessary details in the form and take a print out
Step 3: Seal and send the form along with the essential documents or proof to the postal address as mentioned under:
UIDAI Post Box No. 10,
Madhya Pradesh – 480001, India
Post Box No. 99,
Hyderabad – 500034, India
4. Aadhaar card address change by ASK (Aadhar Seva Kendra)Visit any of the nearest ASK (Aadhar Seva Kendra) centres with the filled update/ correction form correctly and with the relevant address proof document and submit your request for Aadhaar card address change or aadhaar address update.
List of valid documents Aadhaar card address change or aadhaar address update online
To do a change or update your address in your Aadhaar card online, you will require the primary and most important document is your Aadhaar card. You would also require a digitally scanned copy of the relevant documents that you want to furnish as your address proof. And for you to do so, you will need to give Proof of Address or POA documents which is mentioned in the UIDAI website- https://ssup.uidai.gov.in/ssup/instruction#ListofValidDocuments.
How to check the status of Aadhaar card address change online?
You can check the Aadhaar card address changestatusin two manners. You can track your request online easily and second is you can contact the toll-free number of UIDAI which is 1947 to check Aadhaar update status. Online Aadhaar card address change or aadhaar address updatecan be done by using your aadhaar number, URN, SRN, and EID or the Enrolment number on the homepage of UIDAI as shown below.
Languages in which the Aadhaar card address change can be done
Other than English, you are allowed to update or do necessary correction in your residential address in any of the below-mentioned languages:
English, Assamese, Bengali, Hindi, Kannada, Malayalam, Gujarati, Odia, Punjabi, Marathi Tamil, and Urdu and Telugu.
Advantage ofAadhaar card address change online
- Updating online your address in Aadhaar through SSUP portal enables you to do the essential changes at your convenience from your home, office or any other place, anytime. You need not stand in the long queues at any Aadhaar Card Enrolment Centres and wait for long for your turn.
- You can easily scan and upload the coloured documents and submit in the online portal
Important Points to note to do an Aadhaar card address change
Before you go ahead and update your address online in your Aadhaar, you must keep the below points in mind.
- It is important to get your mobile number registered with your aadhaar in UIDAI database. An OTP will be sent to your registered cell number for every online service, subsequently, you will be needed to provide this particular OTP to proceed further with the updation process
- You can take advantage of the facility of TOTP or Time-Based OTP to authenticate yourself by way of the mAadhaar App. A TOTP is an 8-digit numerical combination that stays in-force for only 30 seconds. This is due to the fact that a new OTP is generated every 30 seconds and hence you need to make sure you complete the OTP validation process fast
- A URN or Update Request Number is created when your request for address update is submitted successfully in the UIDAI database without any mistakes
- Consent from the address verifier in case of Address Validation Letter is a must
With so many facilities given by UIDAI, both online as well as offline, doing an address change is not a difficult task at all. Hence, go ahead and make sure your details are rightly and correctly updated in your aadhaar.
Address Validation Letter is a letter that is usually sent to the address of the Address Verifier. The letter consists of a secret code and is being sent for authentication after the Address Verifier provided his or her consent to use his or her address by the resident who is requesting for the same. After the request is being submitted successfully, you as a resident or the requestor would receive the Aadhaar Validation Letter within 30 days from the date of placing the request.
Yes, it is possible. If you want to update the address for your child, the respective parent whose Aadhaar is being linked to your child would need to visit any nearest enrolment centre with the child.
Yes, your application may be rejected in case there are inconsistencies or inexactness in the date or the information provided by you, or if the relevant documents given by you does not authenticate the change.
The entire process of updating the address in your Aadhaar card usually takes up to 90 days.
For you to change your address online, you would need to provide a coloured scanned copy of the address proof. If the UIDAI does not admit your document, your update request will be cancelled.