The Aadhar Card is an important identification tool issued by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) under the guidance of the Government. The Government introduced Aadhar Card to allot a unique 12-digit number to resident individuals which would help in identifying them.
Importance of Aadhar Card
Today, Aadhar Card has become a one-stop solution for your identity proof, age proof and address proof as it contains all your details. Moreover, in some cases, furnishing your Aadhar Card number has become mandatory, like in the case of filing of your taxes. That is why it is important to enrol for an Aadhar Card. Enrolment for an Aadhar Card can be done at an Aadhar Enrolment Centre which is an authorised centre for issuance of Aadhar Cards. Moreover, if you already have an Aadhar Card and want to update your details in the card, the same can be done at Aadhar Enrolment Centres which are also called Aadhar update centres.
What are Aadhar enrollment centres?
Aadhar enrollment centres are agencies which have been authorized to enrol individuals under Aadhar. These agencies are hired by registrars which are authorities engaged by UIDAI to enrol individuals under Aadhar. Registrars, therefore, hire enrollment agencies to delegate the work of enrolling residents for the issuance of Aadhar. Enrollment agencies record the demographic and biometric data of individuals who apply for an Aadhar card and provide the data to UIDAI which, then, issues the Aadhar card. Aadhar enrolment centres have to remain empanelled with UIDAI so that they can be hired by registrars for Aadhar enrollment and update process.
UIDAI has created numerous Aadhar Enrolment Centres all over India so that individuals can easily apply for and avail an updated Aadhar Card. If you want to find the Aadhar card update centre near you, you can do so through some simple steps. Let’s see what they are.
Locating an Aadhar Enrolment Centre Online
The Aadhar Enrolment Centres can be located online through the following steps –
- Visit the website of UIDAI which is https://uidai.gov.in/
- On the home page, choose ‘My Aadhar’
- Under the ‘Get Aadhar’ option choose ‘Locate an Enrolment Centre’
A new page would open where you would be given three options of locating the Aadhar Enrolment Centres near you.
These options are as follows –
- Locating the Aadhar Enrolment Centre by StateYou can enter the details of your State and find the Aadhar Enrolment Centre. Choose the option of ‘State’ and a new page opens. Enter in your State, district, sub-district and village. Click on ‘Show only permanent centres’ and enter the captcha code given. Choose ‘Locate a Centre’ and the list of Aadhar Enrolment Centres would be displayed corresponding to the area details that you have provided.
- Locating the Aadhar Enrolment Centre through PIN CodeYou can also enter in your PIN code to locate the nearest Aadhar Enrolment Centres. To do so, choose the option ‘Postal (PIN) Code’. A new page would open wherein you should enter your PIN-code and select ‘Show only permanent centres’. Enter in the captcha code and click ‘Locate a Centre’ to find the centre closest to the postal code that you have entered.
- Locating through Search BoxYou can search for your locality or district in this option and then locate an Aadhar Enrolment Centre. Choose the option of ‘Search Box’ and a new page would open. Type in your city, locality or district and click ‘Show only permanent centres’. Enter the displayed captcha and click on ‘Locate a centre’. The centres in the mentioned area would be displayed.
Locating Aadhaar update centre through mAadhaar
The mobile application of UIDAI, mAadhaar also helps you locate the nearest Aadhaar enrolment centre for enrolling or updating an Aadhaar. The process to locate an Aadhaar card update centre through mAadhaar application is as follows –
- Download the mAadhaar mobile application on your Smartphone. This application is available for both Android and Apple phones and can be downloaded from Google Play Store or Apple Store respectively
- Once downloaded, open the application
- On the home page, there would be an option called ‘Enrolment Centre’
- Click on the option and a map would open showing your location
- There are two options on the top of the map – ‘Search by Text’ and ‘Advanced Search’
- Under ‘Search by Text’ you would have to type the location to get the enrolment centres in that location
- Under ‘Advanced Search’ there are two options – Enter PIN Code’ and ‘Select State’
- If you choose ‘Enter PIN Code’ you would have to enter in the PIN code of your location and hit ‘Search’. The location of the Aadhaar update centre nearest to the PIN Code would be shown
- If you chose ‘Select State’, you would have to enter your State, district, sub-district and village, city or town
- Once all the details are entered, hit ‘Search’ and the list of enrolment centres would be displayed.
Aadhar update Centres in major cities
Here are the addresses and contact information of some of the major cities of India –
Aadhar Enrollment Centres in Tier I cities
|Name of the city||Name of the registrar||Address of the Aadhar Enrolment Centre|
|Mumbai||Government of Maharashtra||MCGM K/E Ward, Azad Road Gundavali, Andheri East, Mumbai Suburban, Andheri, Mumbai, Maharashtra – 400059|
|New Delhi||India Post||New Delhi GPO, Near Bangla Sahib Gurudwara, New Delhi – 110001|
|Bangalore||Government of Karnataka||Marenahalli, B B M P office, Bengaluru, Bangalore North, Karnataka – 560040|
|Chennai||Tamil Nadu eGovernance Agency||Zone 4, 604th Road, Chennai, Tondiarpet, Tamil Nadu – 600081|
|Kolkata||India Post||Kolkata GPO, Kolkata, West Bengal – 700001|
|Pune||Government of Maharashtra||Government Aadhar Seva Kendra 12981, Aundh Ward Office, PMRDA Office Building, Aundh, Pune, Maharashtra – 411067|
|Hyderabad||Information Technology Electronics and Communication Department, Government of Telangana||eSeva Suchitra, ` Hyderabad, Tirumalagiri, Jeedimetla, Telangana – 500055|
|Ahmedabad||India Post||38006301, Sola HBC, Ahmedabad, Gujarat – 380063|
Aadhar Enrollment Centres in Tier-II cities
|Name of the city||Name of the registrar||Address of the Aadhar Enrolment Centre|
|Jaipur||Department of ITC, Government of Rajasthan||UPH Health Centre, Mansarovar, Lal Kothi, Jaipur, Rajasthan – 302015|
|Lucknow||India Post||Aishbagh S.O. Aishbagh S.O. Lucknow-226004, Bakshi Ka Talab, Rajendra Nagar, Uttar Pradesh|
|Guwahati||India Post||Guwahati University HPO, Guwahati University Campus, Kamrup Metro, Guwahati, Khanamukh, Assam – 781014|
|Agra||India Post||AGRA CITY, Agra, Kiraoli, Uttar Pradesh – 282003|
|Ludhiana||FCS Government of Punjab||MC OFFICE JAGRAON, NEAR JHANSI RANI CHOWK JAGRAON, Ludhiana Punjab – 142026|
|Chandigarh||Government of Union Territory of Chandigarh||SAMPARK 21, SECTOR 21B CHD, Chandigarh, Chandigarh, Chandigarh, Chandigarh – 160022|
|Jammu||Jammu and Kashmir Bank||J K Bank New Theed Harwan, J&K Bank New Theed Harwan, Srinagar, Srinagar (north), Brein, Jammu and Kashmir – 191123|
|Goa||Government of Goa||Aadhar centre, Old SCERT Bldg 2nd Floor, Beside Technical Education Bldg, North Goa, Bardez, Alto-porvorim, Goa – 403521|
Services available at Aadhar update centres
The different services which you can avail at an Aadhar Enrolment Centre are as follows –
- You can apply for a fresh Aadhar Card if you don’t have an Aadhar card in your name. To do so you should carry your identity proof, address proof and age proof when visiting the centre. At the centre, you can fill up the Aadhar enrolment form, submit your documents and apply for Aadhar card.
- If there are any changes in your Aadhar details you can get the changes updated at the Aadhar update centre. These changes can include change of residential address and change of registered mobile number. At the centre, there would be a relevant form which you can fill up to update the changes that have taken place. You can, then, submit the filled up form along with the relevant documents which support the change of details at the Aadhar update centre. Your form and documents would be verified and the update would be done in your Aadhar card.
- If you lose or misplace your Aadhar card and want a duplicate card, you can apply for the same by visiting an Aadhar card update centre. You can even find out your Aadhar card number at the centre and also apply for a duplicate Aadhar card.
- To link your mobile number with your Aadhar, if not already registered, you would have to visit the Aadhar update centre and complete the formality for linking of your mobile number.
Different types of Aadhar Enrolment Centres
There are two main types of Aadhar Enrolment Centres which are as follows –
- Temporary Aadhar Enrolment Centres
The UIDAI introduced temporary Aadhar Enrolment Centres to facilitate easy Aadhar enrolments. These centres are operated by those agencies which are not enrolled with UIDAI to offer Aadhar enrolments. However, to boost enrolments UIDAI offers these agencies a contract to enrol more and more individuals under Aadhar. The need for temporary Aadhar Enrolment Centres was felt in the earlier years when Aadhar was introduced. Currently, with many individuals having an Aadhar card, these temporary Aadhar Enrolment Centres have either closed down or are on the verge of being closed down
- Permanent Aadhar Enrolment Centres
Permanent Aadhar Enrolment Centres are those which are authorized by the UIDAI to offer Aadhar related services to individuals. These centres not only accept fresh enrolments, but they also help in updating your Aadhar card details.Whether temporary or permanent, the Government has mandated the Aadhar Enrolment Centres to shift their base of operation either at a bank or at a Government-owned premise. This would ensure that all Aadhar related activities are done at a secured location and that there is no case of fraud. Almost all banks in India have been asked by UIDAI to open an Aadhar Enrolment Centre in one among ten bank branches that they have.So, find out the Aadhar Enrolment Centre near you and pay a visit to either apply for an Aadhar Card, if you don’t have one or to make any changes in your existing Aadhar card, if required.
No, linking of a bank account with Aadhar card can be done online. You don’t have to visit the Aadhar Enrolment Centres for the same.
No, no fee is charged for Aadhar enrolment since the enrolment is free of cost.
Yes, the addresses of all Aadhar Enrolment Centres can be found online on UIDAI’s website.