If you have applied for a learner’s license, you need to prepare yourself for an online learner’s license test. A driving licence is mandatory in India by any individual driving any vehicle on public road or highway as per the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 and no one is permitted to drive the vehicle without a valid Driving licence.
However, the rule also states that the first step to getting a permanent driving license is to get a Learner’s licence by passing the learner’s license test. This learners license will be considered as a temporary licence post which a driving test will be carried out to get a Driving licence.
What is a Learner’s Driving license?
A Learning License is issued if you wish to learn how to drive a vehicle after passing the learner’s license test. This license is valid for 30 days after which, you can then apply for a permanent driving license.
A learning license is mandatory before a Permanent License
You must have understood by now that the first step to getting a Driving License in India is receiving a Learner’s License. For the test, you need to be acquainted with the roads and traffic signals and regulations to get a Learning License. This test assesses your understanding and knowledge about the various traffic rules of the road In India. And after you pass the online Learner’s License test, the license will be given to you that. Therefore, after getting a Learner’s License, you will be allowed to practise driving on the public roads. One very important point to note for you is that you as a learner has to be accompanied mandatorily by any permanent driving license holder.
Every state and regions in India have its own RTO or RTA office in all primary cities from where a person can obtain the Learner’s License. Many state RTOs have their own online portal where online learning license can easily be applied for. The required online learning license forms are accessible with mock Learner’s License exam as well so that you as a candidate for giving Learners License test can do a practise before you actually give the test.
What is the process of a Learners License test in India?
Now let us take you through the process of Learners License test.
You will have to appear for an online test if the online learning licence application is made or you can appear for written test as well. Some key aspects to note here as below:
- You need to be present at the venue half an hour before the test
- Many RTOs usually give printed information covering points like traffic signals, traffic rules etc for your reference
- You need to pay the required fee (table is given below for you to refer) for the test
- If you pass, you will be given the learner’s license there itself
- If you are unable to pass the test, you will be allowed to retake the test after a week
- You will be allowed to apply for a Driving License 30 days post the date of issue of the Learner’s License.
What are the necessary fees for a Learner’s License Test?
Table for Learning licence test Fees
|Type of License
|Amount of Fee (INR)
|Renewal of earner’s License
|Test for Driving License
|International Driving License
|Renewal of Driving License
How many questions are asked in the Learner License Test?
A total of 15 multiple choice questions is asked in the Learner license test. Out of the 15 questions, you need to give the correct answer for at least nine questions to pass the learning license test successfully. You are given 30 seconds for each question to pick the right answer over the four choices available. The questions asked are based on traffic rules and regulations.
How to apply for a learning license (ll) online?
If you want a driving license, you must get a learning license first. You will have to take a test to get it. You can apply for the test online as well as through offline mediums. Now let us see how you can apply for your learning license online. Here are some simple steps that you have to follow:
- Visit the official website of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways https://parivahan.gov.in/
- On the home page, you will find “online services” option, select “Driving license-related services” from the drop-down menu.
- Select “Apply for learner driving license”.
- Fill in the form carefully, once done, hit “Submit”.
- Upload the requested scanned copies of documents.
- Pay the application fees by selecting the payment gateway of choice.
- Book the online slot for the test.
- To take the test, you’ll need to visit the RTO center on the scheduled date.
- If you clear the test, your learning license will be sent to your address..
- If you don’t clear the test, you can reapply for the test after a week.
Documents required to apply for learning license online
The documents required for both offline and online learning license tests are the same. In the case of online applications, you’ll need scanned copies of the documents. To apply you’ll need to upload the documents through the official website. The following documents are necessary to apply for the learning licence test:
- Age proof (one of the documents listed below)
- Birth certificate
- Pan card
- Address proof (one of the documents listed below)
- Electricity bill or telephone bill
- Ration card
- Voter ID
- Copies of passport size photos
- Medical certificate Form 1A
- Physical fitness certificate Form 1
Rules and Guidelines for Attempting Driving Licence Test
You should know a few things before taking the licence test:
- Be prepared, know the basics of driving and road signs before appearing for your test
- Practice through mock tests
- Arrive at the RTO centre half an hour before the test
- Carry all the necessary documents with you to the test centre
There is a piece of good news for you, if you don’t want to go to the RTO office for giving the test. You can take the learner’s licence test from home, no need to go to the RTO. Many state governments have implemented this option, including Maharashtra and Delhi. The procedure for application would be the same. The only thing out of the list would be going out to take the test.
Sample Learning Licence Test Questions / LL Test Questions
Now let us see some sample ll test questions as below for you to understand the pattern of the test questions and then you will be able to prepare yourself in a better manner:
- What is ‘tail-gating’?
- Driving too close behind the vehicle in a dangerous manner
- Keeping a safe distance from the vehicle ahead regulating the speed proportionately
- Keeping a distance at least seven meters from the vehicle ahead
- A vehicle can be seized by authorized officers, if
- The vehicle is not covered by a valid registration or permit
- The vehicle is not covered by a valid insurance
- The vehicle exceeds the speed limit
- When the yellow light at an intersection appears on the signal light, the driver of an approaching vehicle should
- Ensure safety and drive away
- Must slow down to stop (if within possibility)
- Sound the horn and proceed
- Minimum distance to keep from the vehicle going in front
- 10 meter
- 5 meter
- ‘’Safe Distance’’ according to speed i.e., minimum 10 seconds time gap, to cross one particular point by two vehicles
- What is defensive driving?
- Driving cautiously anticipating violation of traffic rules and road signs both by drivers and other road users
- Driving with the sole aim of reaching the destination with no regard to road signs
- Driving on the assumption that other road users will be cautious about their safety
- You are on a long downhill slope. What should you do to help control the speed of your vehicle?
- Change to low gear
- Stop the engine
- Select neutral and continue braking
- You are overtaking a car at night. You must ensure that
- You do not dazzle other road users
- You flash headlamps before overtaking
- Your rear fog lights are switched on
- You are driving. A vehicle comes up quickly behind, flashing headlamps. You should Accelerate to maintain the gap behind you
Touch the breaks to show your brake lights
Allow the vehicle to overtake, if safe and with proper signal
- You are driving in the rain. Why should you keep well back from the vehicle in front?
- In case it changes direction suddenly
- In case it’s for lights dazzle you
- In case it stops suddenly
- When must you use a dipped/ high beam headlight during the day?
- In poor visibility and highways
- On country roads
- Along narrow streets
11. When you change houses, you must inform your nearest RTO about the change in your address within:
- 90 days
- 30 days
- 1 year
- No need to inform
12. The following sign represents:
- No left turn
- No freeway
- No U-Turn
13. On a one-way road, you should not:
- Park on the way
- Drive in the reverse gear
- Honk a lot
14. How do you know that a vehicle is a transport vehicle?
- By the make of the vehicle
- By the driver’s license
- By seeing the number plate of the vehicle
15. Overtaking is allowed only:
- From the right side
- From the left side
- After honking 3 times
16. What does this sign mean?
- No u-turn
- No right turn
- No freeway
- No left turn
17. What does this sign mean?
- No freeway
- No parking
- No right turn
18. While travelling uphill, which vehicle has the right-of-way over others?
- Largest vehicle
- Longest vehicle
- Any vehicle travelling uphill
- The vehicle which came first
19. Your vehicle faces a railway station which is unguarded and you want to move, you must
- Wait patiently till l the train pass
- Keep honking and cross the station fast
- Stop your motor vehicle on the road’s left side, move towards the track and check whether there are any trains coming before crossing.
20. The driver of any vehicle is allowed to overtake
- When the driver in front gives the right indication to overtake
- When there is a broad road
- Driving on a hilly road
21. Red signal in traffic implies:
- Please slow down your vehicle
- Please stop your vehicle
- Move with caution
22. Overtaking will be forbidden in case
- Roads look greasy
- Dangerous to approaching traffic
- All mentioned as above
23. When your car is halted on one side of the road at night, then
- The vehicle must be under lock and key
- Parking signal must be used
- All as mentioned above
24. You are approaching a fine bridge and you see there is one more vehicle is entering the bridge from the opposite side. What will be your action?
- You need to wait till the other car pass the bridge before you move on
- Switch on the headlight and start crossing the bridge
- Drive fast so that you can first pass the bridge
25. The driver of a vehicle must drive on the
- Road’s Left side
- Road’s right side
- in the middle
26. A road not having a footpath, walkers must
- Walk on road’s right side
- Walk on the road’s middle side
- Walk as per your wish
27. You are allowed to board and get down from moving vehicles of all types.
28. Vehicles used for transport can be differentiated through
- Vehicle’s colour
- Vehicle’ number plate
- Vehicle’s tyre size
29. You are approaching a zebra crossing and you see that there some pedestrians for crossing the road, you must
- Slow your vehicle down and start moving
- Keep honking and move
- Stop your vehicle and wait till pedestrians cross the road and then go-ahead
30. Honking is forbidden near:
- Temples, Churches and Mosques
- Medical Institution, Courts
- Police office
31. Pollution Under Control Certificate or PUC is valid for
- One year
- 180 days
- 24 months
32. The minimum eligibility for getting a driving license for driving a vehicle lacking gear is
- 16 years of age
- 15 years
- 25 years
33. Rearmost mirror is used for the purpose of
- Observing traffic that is coming from behind
- Viewing passengers who are seated at the back
- Decorations of the vehicle
34. You must use lamps used for fog when:
- You can see fog
- During night
- When you notice that the opposite side vehicle’s dim light is not on
35. If your driver sees the sign for ‘greasy road in front, the driver must
- You will drive faster
- Change your gear and lessen your vehicle’s speed
- Put brake but move in the similar swiftness
36. The tax for a new car is to be paid once in
- 10 years
- 15 years
- Till the cancellation of the vehicle’s
37. Essential papers required for all vehicles will be
- Certificate of Insurance, Certificate of Registration
- Certificate of Registration, Insurance Certificate, Tax Token of the vehicle and your Driving License
- Permit slip, Registration Certificate of your vehicle
38. Overhauling is not permissible if:
- The road is broad
- The road in front is not noticeable evidently
- The road does not have holes
39. The Parking hand-brake must be in use to
- Stop and park your vehicle
- Fast apply of the brake
- Reduce the speediness
40. Vehicles which are unregistered can be used in public places
Your learner’s license test paper will have similar questions to the above-mentioned questions. The actual idea of a learner’s license test is to evaluate your knowledge pertaining to the safety of road, traffic rules and regulations. Hence, be patient and be calm and be ready for the test.
List of Traffic Signs
It is also important to be aware of all the traffic signals before you take a learner’s license test as questions can be asked on the traffic signs in the RTO exam. Here is the list of traffic signs that are mainly categorized into three categories:
You can give the learner’s license test both online and offline. You can apply for an e-learner licence by giving the learner’s test online. You need to visit https://sarathi.parivahan.gov.in/ and select your state. Go to “Learner License” and click on “Online Learner’s License”. Enter the given details, and proceed. To give the test offline, you need to get in touch with your nearest RTO. Fill out the required forms, attach the required paperwork and appear for the test on the selected date and time.
In the learner’s license test, there are 15 questions in all, and there is a 1-minute time assigned to answer each question. In order to pass the test, the applicant has to clear a minimum of 10 correct answers.
In case you cannot clear the learner’s test, you have the option of reappearing for the same in a period of 7 days. Make sure you utilise this period to hone your skills and not repeat the mistakes made earlier.
The learning license test has 15 questions in all. In order to clear the learner’s practice test, you need to answer at least 10 of these correctly. In case you do not pass the test, you can reappear after 7 days.