If you have applied for a learner’s license, you need to prepare yourself for an online learner’s license test. A driving licence is mandatory in India by any individual driving any vehicle on public road or highway as per the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 and no one is permitted to drive the vehicle without a valid Driving licence.
However, the rule also states that the first step to getting a permanent driving license is to get a Learner’s licence by passing the learner’s license test. This learners license will be considered as a temporary licence post which a driving test will be carried out to get a Driving licence.
What is a Learner’s Driving license?
A Learning License is issued if you wish to learn how to drive a vehicle after passing the learner’s license test. This license is valid for 30 days after which, you can then apply for a permanent driving license.
A learning license is mandatory before a Permanent License
You must have understood by now that the first step to getting a Driving License in India is receiving a Learner’s License. For the test, you need to be acquainted with the roads and traffic signals and regulations to get a Learning License. This test assesses your understanding and knowledge about the various traffic rules of the road In India. And after you pass the online Learner’s License test, the license will be given to you that. Therefore, after getting a Learner’s License, you will be allowed to practise driving on the public roads. One very important point to note for you is that you as a learner has to be accompanied mandatorily by any permanent driving license holder.
Every state and regions in India have its own RTO or RTA office in all primary cities from where a person can obtain the Learner’s License. Many state RTOs have their own online portal where online learning license can easily be applied for. The required online learning license forms are accessible with mock Learner’s License exam as well so that you as a candidate for giving Learners License test can do a practise before you actually give the test.
What is the process of a Learners License test in India?
Now let us take you through the process of Learners License test.
You will have to appear for an online test if the online learning licence application is made or you can appear for written test as well. Some key aspects to note here as below:
- You need to be present at the venue half an hour before the test
- Many RTOs usually give printed information covering points like traffic signals, traffic rules etc for your reference
- You need to pay the required fee (table is given below for you to refer) for the test
- If you pass, you will be given the learner’s license there itself
- If you are unable to pass the test, you will be allowed to retake the test after a week
- You will be allowed to apply for a Driving License 30 days post the date of issue of the Learner’s License.
What are the necessary fees for a Learner’s License Test?
Table for Learning licence test Fees
Type of License
Amount of Fee (INR)
Renewal of earner’s License
Test for Driving License
International Driving License
Renewal of Driving License
How many questions are asked in the Learner License Test?
A total of 15 multiple choice questions is asked in the Learner license test. Out of the 15 questions, you need to give the correct answer for at least nine questions to pass the learning license test successfully. You are given 30 seconds for each question to pick the right answer over the four choices available. The questions asked are based on traffic rules and regulations.
Sample learning licence test questions
Now let us see some sample Learning licence test questionsas below for you to understand the pattern of the test questions and then you will be able to prepare yourself in a better manner:
- What is ‘tail-gating’?
A vehicle can be seized by authorized officers, if
- Driving too close behind the vehicle in a dangerous manner
- Keeping a safe distance from the vehicle ahead regulating the speed proportionately
- Keeping a distance at least seven meters from the vehicle ahead
When the yellow light at an intersection appears on the signal light, the driver of an approaching vehicle should
- The vehicle is not covered by a valid registration or permit
- The vehicle is not covered by a valid insurance
- The vehicle exceeds the speed limit
Minimum distance to keep from the vehicle going in front
- Ensure safety and drive away
- Must slow down to stop (if within possibility)
- Sound the horn and proceed
What is defensive driving?
- 10 meter
- 5 meter
- ‘’Safe Distance’’ according to speed i.e., minimum 10 seconds time gap, to cross one particular point by two vehicles
You are on a long downhill slope. What should you do to help control the speed of your vehicle?
- Driving cautiously anticipating violation of traffic rules and road signs both by drivers and other road users
- Driving with the sole aim of reaching the destination with no regard to road signs
- Driving on the assumption that other road users will be cautious about their safety
You are overtaking a car at night. You must ensure that
- Change to low gear
- Stop the engine
- Select neutral and continue braking
You are driving. A vehicle comes up quickly behind, flashing headlamps. You should
- You do not dazzle other road users
- You flash headlamps before overtaking
- Your rear fog lights are switched on
You are driving in the rain. Why should you keep well back from the vehicle in front?
- Accelerate to maintain the gap behind you
- Touch the breaks to show your brake lights
- Allow the vehicle to overtake, if safe and with proper signal
When must you use a dipped/ high beam headlight during the day?
- In case it changes direction suddenly
- In case it’s for lights dazzle you
- In case it stops suddenly
When you change houses, you must inform your nearest RTO about the change in your address within:
- In poor visibility and highways
- On country roads
- Along narrow streets
The following sign represents:
- 90 days
- 30 days
- 1 year
- No need to inform
On a one-way road, you should not:
- No left turn
- No freeway
How do you know that a vehicle is a transport vehicle?
- Park on the way
- Drive in the reverse gear
- Honk a lot
Overtaking is allowed only:
- By the make of the vehicle
- By the driver’s license
- By seeing the number plate of the vehicle
What does this sign mean?
- From the right side
- From the left side
- After honking 3 times
What does this sign mean?
- No u-turn
- No right turn
- No freeway
- No left turn
While travelling uphill, which vehicle has the right-of-way over others?
- No freeway
- No parking
- No right turn
Your vehicle faces a railway station which is unguarded and you want to move, you must
- Largest vehicle
- Longest vehicle
- Any vehicle travelling uphill
- The vehicle which came first
The driver of any vehicle is allowed to overtake
- Wait patiently till l the train pass
- Keep honking and cross the station fast
- Stop your motor vehicle on the road’s left side, move towards the track and check whether there are any trains coming before crossing.
Red signal in traffic implies:
- When the driver in front gives the right indication to overtake
- When there is a broad road
- Driving on a hilly road
Overtaking will be forbidden in case
- Please slow down your vehicle
- Please stop your vehicle
- Move with caution
When your car is halted on one side of the road at night, then
- Roads look greasy
- Dangerous to approaching traffic
- All mentioned as above
You are approaching a fine bridge and you see there is one more vehicle is entering the bridge from the opposite side. What will be your action?
- The vehicle must be under lock and key
- Parking signal must be used
- All as mentioned above
The driver of a vehicle must drive on the
- You need to wait till the other car pass the bridge before you move on
- Switch on the headlight and start crossing the bridge
- Drive fast so that you can first pass the bridge
A road not having a footpath, walkers must
- Road’s Left side
- Road’s right side
- in the middle
You are allowed to board and get down from moving vehicles of all types.
- Walk on road’s right side
- Walk on the road’s middle side
- Walk as per your wish
Vehicles used for transport can be differentiated through
You are approaching a zebra crossing and you see that there some pedestrians for crossing the road, you must
- Vehicle’s colour
- Vehicle’ number plate
- Vehicle’s tyre size
Honking is forbidden near:
- Slow your vehicle down and start moving
- Keep honking and move
- Stop your vehicle and wait till pedestrians cross the road and then go-ahead
Pollution Under Control Certificate or PUC is valid for
- Temples, Churches and Mosques
- Medical Institution, Courts
- Police office
The minimum eligibility for getting a driving license for driving a vehicle lacking gear is
- One year
- 180 days
- 24 months
Rearmost mirror is used for the purpose of
- 16 years of age
- 15 years
- 25 years
You must use lamps used for fog when:
- Observing traffic that is coming from behind
- Viewing passengers who are seated at the back
- Decorations of the vehicle
If your driver sees the sign for ‘greasy road in front, the driver must
- You can see fog
- During night
- When you notice that the opposite side vehicle’s dim light is not on
The tax for a new car is to be paid once in
- You will drive faster
- Change your gear and lessen your vehicle’s speed
- Put brake but move in the similar swiftness
Essential papers required for all vehicles will be
- 10 years
- 15 years
- Till the cancellation of the vehicle’s
Overhauling is not permissible if:
- Certificate of Insurance, Certificate of Registration
- Certificate of Registration, Insurance Certificate, Tax Token of the vehicle and your Driving License
- Permit slip, Registration Certificate of your vehicle
The Parking hand-brake must be in use to
- The road is broad
- The road in front is not noticeable evidently
- The road does not have holes
Vehicles which are unregistered can be used in public places
- Stop and park your vehicle
- Fast apply of the brake
- Reduce the speediness
Your learner’s license test paper will have similar questions to the above-mentioned questions. The actual idea of a learner’s license test is to evaluate your knowledge pertaining to the safety of road, traffic rules and regulations. Hence, be patient and be calm and be ready for the test.
List of Traffic Signs
It is also important to be aware of all the traffic signals before you take a learner’s license test as questions can be asked on the traffic signs in the RTO exam. Here is the list of traffic signs that are mainly categorized into three categories: