Star Health Insurance Company is a standalone health insurance provider which offers a range of specialised and attractive health insurance plans. The company began its operations in the year 2006 and since then it has made a name for itself in the health insurance industry. In the financial year 2018-19, the company’s Gross Written Premium (GWP) stood at more than INR 5400 crores and as on 31st March 2019, the company’s net worth stood at INR 1480 crores. This shows that the company is financially stable and has a good solvency margin.
Star Health offers a range of health insurance plans for individuals, families, as well as for senior citizens. Star Senior Citizens Red Carpet Health Insurance Policy is a senior citizen health insurance plan offered by Star Health. Let’s understand the plan in details –
Overview of Star health insurance for senior citizens
As mentioned earlier, the Senior Citizens Red Carpet plan is a policy for senior citizens. This Star health insurance for senior citizens is offered to individuals who are aged 60 years and above. The sum insured under the plan is optimal for meeting the healthcare needs of older individuals and the premiums are affordable.
Features of Star health insurance for senior citizens
Senior Citizens Red Carpet Plan has the following salient features –
- The plan is designed only for senior citizens aged between 60 and 75 years
- You can buy the policy for one year, two years or for a continuous period of three years by paying the aggregate premiums upfront
- The coverage can be taken on an individual basis or a family floater basis covering both senior citizen couple
- Inpatient hospitalisation, as well as outpatient expenses, are covered under the plan
Highlights of Star health insurance for senior citizens
Some of the main highlights of the Senior Citizens Red Carpet policy are as follows –
- Coverage is allowed for all types of daycare treatments
- The policy can be renewed lifelong if you renew the coverage on time every time
- No pre-entrance health check-ups are required to be taken to buy the plan
- A premium discount of 10% is allowed if you submit specific health reports at the time of buying or renewing the policy. This discount helps in lowering the premium outgo
Benefits of Star health insurance for senior citizens
If you buy Senior Citizens Red Carpet insurance plan for yourself or for your senior citizen parents, you would get the following benefits –
- Free annual health check-ups if you do not make a claim in the policy
- You can avail sum insured levels of up to INR 25 lakhs if you buy a floater plan
- The waiting period for pre-existing illnesses is only one year allowing you to avail coverage for your illnesses from the second policy year itself
- You can avail coverage for outpatient doctor consultations too up to INR 4400 depending on the sum insured that you choose
- The premium rates do not change even if the age increases. The premium would depend only on the sum insured, coverage duration and the number of members covered
- The company offers an in-house claim settlement process which makes the claims hassle-free and convenient
What is covered under Star health insurance for senior citizens?
Star Senior Citizens Red Carpet Policy has the following coverage benefits –
- Hospitalization expenses
If you are admitted to the hospital for a period of 24 hours and above, the expenses incurred on room rent and nurse’s fee would be covered. Coverage for room rent is allowed up to a specified limit which is as follows –
Chosen sum insured level
Room rent limit
INR 1 lakh to INR 5 lakhs
Up to 1% of the sum insured
INR 7.5 lakhs to INR 10 lakhs
Up to INR 6000
INR 15 lakhs
Up to INR 7500
INR 20 lakhs
Up to INR 8500
INR 25 lakhs
Up to INR 10,000
- ICU coverage
If you are admitted to the ICU of the hospital for a period of 24 hours or more, the charges incurred on such admission would be covered. There is also a sub-limit on the ICU room rent. This limit is up to 2% of the sum insured if the coverage is between INR 1 lakh and INR 10 lakhs. However, for INR 15 lakhs and above, the actual cost incurred would be covered.
- The fee payable to surgeons, doctors, specialists and consultants would be covered for up to 25% of the sum insured
- The costs incurred on blood, anaesthesia, pacemaker, oxygen, etc. would be covered for up to 50% of the sum insured
- Ambulance charges
If you are transported to the hospital in an ambulance, the cost of the ambulance would be covered under the policy. Ambulance costs are covered for a maximum of two times in a policy period and the limit of coverage for each instance of hospitalisation is as follows –
Sum insured level
Ambulance coverage limit per hospitalisation
INR 1 lakh to INR 4 lakhs
INR 5 lakhs to INR 10 lakhs
INR 15 lakhs to INR 25 lakhs
- Pre-hospitalisation expenses
Expenses which are incurred before you are actually hospitalised are called pre-hospitalisation expenses. These expenses are covered for up to 30 days before hospitalisation.
- Post-hospitalisation expenses
Expenses incurred after you are discharged from the hospital are called post hospitalisation expenses. These expenses are covered for up to 7% of the hospitalisation coverage limit. The maximum coverage limit for post hospitalisation expenses are as follows –
Sum insured levels
Limit of post hospitalisation expenses
INR 1 lakh to INR 7.5 lakhs
INR 10 lakhs to INR 15 lakhs
INR 20 lakhs and INR 25 lakhs
- Outpatient consultations
If you avail of doctor’s consultations on an outpatient basis in a networked hospital, the expenses incurred on such consultations would be covered under the plan. The coverage limit for each consultation is INR 200 and the maximum limit in a policy period depends on the sum insured that you have selected.
- Health check-ups
Health check-ups are allowed every policy year if there were no claims in the previous year. The cost of such health check-ups is borne by the insurance company up to a specific limit.
Terms and conditions of Star health insurance for senior citizens
The following eligibility parameters and terms and conditions are applicable to buy Senior Citizen Red Carpet Insurance Policy –
60 years to 75 years
Term of the plan
1, 2 or 3 years
If the plan is bought on an individual basis – INR 1 lakh to INR 7.5 lakhs
If the plan is bought on family floater basis – INR 10 lakhs to INR 25 lakhs
If sum insured is INR 1 lakhs to INR 10 lakhs –
For pre-existing claims – 50% of each claim
For other claims – 30% of each claim
If the sum insured is INR 15 lakhs to INR 25 lakhs – 30% of all types of claims
What is not covered under Star health insurance for senior citizens?
Senior Citizens Red Carpet Insurance Plan has the following exclusions –
- Diseases suffered within the first 30 days of buying the policy would not be covered
- Specified illnesses would not be covered in the first two years of the plan. Some of these illnesses include cataract, ENT diseases, hernia, fistula, congenital defects, varicose veins, etc.
- Pre-existing illnesses would not be covered within the first 12 months of buying the policy
- Circumcision and cosmetic treatments are not covered
- General debility and nutritional deficiencies are not covered
- Sexually transmitted illnesses, HIV/AIDS, venereal ailments, etc. are not covered
- Unproven and experimental treatments are not covered
- Pregnancy-related or fertility-related treatments
- Vaccination or inoculation costs
- Any type of hospitalisation which is not medically necessary
Premiums of Star health insurance for senior citizens
The sample rates of premiums payable for buying Senior Citizens Red Carpet policy are mentioned in the following chart. The chart shows the premiums at the different sum insured levels for different coverage durations and also for covering one individual and two individuals.
Sum insured levels
Family floater policy for two adults
Term 1 year
Term 2 years
Term 3 years
Term 1 year
Term 2 years
Term 3 years
INR 5 lakhs
INR 10 lakhs
INR 20 lakhs
INR 25 lakhs
Review of Star Health Insurance for Senior Citizens-Red Carpet
Star Senior Citizen Red Carpet plan is a good policy for older individuals who need health insurance in their old age. The policy provides a good coverage level at affordable premiums suitable to senior citizens. The coverage features are also good since both inpatient and outpatient expenses are covered by the plan. So, if you are looking for a senior citizen health insurance plan, you can definitely buy this policy.
How to buy Star health insurance for senior citizens?
To buy Star Senior Citizens Red Carpet health insurance plan you can visit the website of the insurance company and buy the plan directly from the company. The link to buy the policy from Star’s website is https://www.starhealth.in/health-insurance-plan-for-senior-citizens. You can enter in your coverage details and contact information to generate the premium rate. You can, then, pay the premium online and the policy would be issued instantly.
You can also buy the policy from a Star health agent by fixing up a meeting with the agent and buying the policy offline. Offline purchase can also be done from the branch of the company which is nearest to your home.
Another alternative to buy Star Senior Citizens Red Carpet is through Turtlemint. Turtlemint is tied-up with Star Health Insurance and offers its products for online purchases on its platform. Moreover, when you buy through Turtlemint, you can even compare other senior citizen health insurance plans available in the market and then choose the best policy. To buy through Turtlemint, you would have to visit https://www.turtlemint.com/health-insurance and provide your details. Choose ’Buy new policy’ and proceed to enter in your age, gender, members to be insured, details of pre-existing illnesses (if any), annual income and PIN code. The different senior citizen plans would, then, be displayed along with their benefits and premium rates. You can compare the available plans and then choose the policy which is the best. After choosing the plan, pay the premium online and the policy would be bought.
Making claims under Star health insurance for senior citizens
If you want your claims to be settled on a cashless basis, you should take treatments at a networked hospital. A pre-authorization form is needed to be filled and submitted for approval of the claim. You should submit the form 3-4 days in advance in case of planned hospitalisation. In case of emergency hospitalisation, the form should be submitted within 24 hours of hospitalisation. Once the claim is approved, the hospital bills would be settled by the company itself. You can take the treatments and get your claims settled on a cashless basis.
In case you take treatments in a non-networked hospital, you would have to bear the medical costs yourself. Thereafter, you can submit your claim to the insurance company and the company would reimburse the costs incurred.
For your claims, the following documents would have to be submitted –
- Policy bond
- Identity proof
- Hospital bills in original
- All hospital and medical reports
- Doctor’s prescriptions
- Discharge summary issued by the hospital
- Any other document required by the company
If you have bought your policy from Turtlemint, you can easily get your claim settled through Turtlemint itself. You wouldn’t have to follow the claim steps yourself as Turtlemint would do that for you. Just inform Turtlemint at 1800 266 0101 or send a mail at firstname.lastname@example.org to intimate your health insurance claim. Turtlemint’s executives would, then, get in touch with the insurance company and get your claims settled at the earliest.