At times we want to have some exclusiveness in our valuable assets and have a specific and separate identity, and as an example, we can take our vehicle. Buying a car is an important event in everyone’s life isn’t it? And therefore, in order to make your vehicle distinctly noticeable, you may want to go for a fancy number plate with numbers like 0007, 9999 etc. As we all know that all motor vehicles in India are categorized with a registration number or a number plate. A vehicle number plate is a mixture of numbers and alphabets that gives each vehicle a clear identity and registers the vehicle with the respective Regional Transport Office. As per The Motor Vehicles Act of 1988, it is mandatory for all vehicle owners to get their vehicles registered as per the RTO number plate rules and fix the vehicle number plate on the back and front side of the vehicle. Anyone who does not follow this is considered as the violation of the rule book and the owner will be punished. The main reason for allotting a vehicle number plate is to keep a record of the vehicle with the respective RTO for easy tracking and monitoring. So now, you can choose your selected registration numbers or fancy number by paying a certain fee. Here we will cover the below topics for your better understanding of getting a fancy number plate.
- Vehicle Number Plate and its Important parts
- Rules for a fancy number plate
- Availability of VIP Vehicle Registration Numbers
- List of available VIP registration numbers & the charges for Four-wheeler and Two-wheeler in Maharashtra
- How to apply for personalized or fancy number plate
- The difference in the format of the car number plate
- Importance of the various colours in vehicle number plates
- Special and Distinct Vehicle Registration Formats
Vehicle Number Plate and its Important parts
It is significant for you to know what the numbers and letters in a car number plate infer and its significance. Let us see the below aspects:
- 1st Two Letters: The first 2 letters of the Vehicle Number Platedepict the state or the region in which the vehicle is registered with the respective RTO. Example: if the vehicle is registered in Maharashtra then the vehicle will be assigned MH which is the code of the State
- Next Two numbers: This signifies the district where the vehicle is being registered. This number varies with the district as all districts have different RTOs
- 3rd section: This part in the Number Plateis the selected numerical group which is allotted to the vehicle. This contains 4 digits but the combination may be of fewer digits or can be an especially selected grouping of numbers which can be bought at the Regional Transport Office in certain specified auctions with a higher price
- 4th and Last part: This part of the Vehicle Number Plate displays a symbol which is IND indicating the country India. This is a recent development which has happened to stop dishonest individuals who are involved in illegal activities. This number is precisely used in HSRP known as High-Security Registration Plates. HRSP is usually damage-proof plates that were first brought in 2005. The key intention was to reduce the number of burglaries of the vehicles and now it is obligatory for all the vehicles.
Rules for a fancy number plate
This is a very important section for you to know. As per the newest rules for the number plate, both the new and old vehicles must essentially have an HSRP on their vehicle to confirm steadiness or standardization of the registration plates all over India. The number plate rules in the Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989, mentions that from 1st April 2019, all new vehicles will come attached with HSRPs* to avoid any kind of botheration to the buyers. Fancy Number plates must contain HSRP* as well. You have an option to check from the official website https://vahan.parivahan.gov.in/fancy/ to check the RTO choice number availability as not all the fancy numbers are easily available and then apply accordingly.
Availability of VIP Vehicle Registration Numbers
You must know that the state transport authorities generally retain a couple of numbers starting from 0001 to 9999 as earmarked numbers which cannot be allotted through the normal process of vehicle registration. For a normal two-wheeler registration, a number is created by an automatic computer machine and you as an owner will not be able to choose any number. All VIP registration numbers are earmarked in the system and you must apply for a special number by a definite process is suitable in your own state. The transport authority issues the list online which are available numbers or you may see for the availability of the chosen number on the website of the state road transport by putting in all the details of the vehicle and the location.
Let us see now see the List of available VIP registration numbers & the charges for Four-wheeler
Two-wheeler for a big specific state like Maharashtra to have an idea of the fancy numbers allotted to the VIPs and the normal charges.
|VIP Registration Numbers Available||Charges for Four-wheeler (INR)||Charged for Two-wheeler (INR)|
|0009, 0099, 0786, 0999, 9999||1,50,000||20,000|
|0111, 0222, 0333, 0444,0555, 0666,|
0777, 0888, 1111,2222,3333,4444,
|0010, 0011, 0022, 0033, 0044, 0055, 0066, 0077, 0100, 0123, 0234, 0345, 0456, 0500, 0505, 0567, 0678, 0789, 0900, 1000, 1001, 1234, 1515, 1818, 2345, 2525, 2727, 3456, 3636, 4545, 4567, 5000, 5454, 5678, 6363, 6789, 7007, 7272, 8181, 9000, 9009, 9090, 0002, 0003, 0004, 0005, 0006, 0007, 0008,||50000||10000|
|Extra payment for any registration number beyond 1000 from the last serial number allotted||7500||5000|
|Extra payment for any registration number which does not come under the serial number (Any number till 1000)||5000||3000|
|0088, 0101, 0200, 0202, 0300, 0303, 0400, 0404, 0600, 0606, 0700, 0707, 0800, 0808, 0909, 1010, 1011, 1100, 1112, 1200, 1212, 1213, 1221, 1300, 1313, 1314, 1331, 1400, 1414, 1415, 1500, 1516, 1600, 1616, 1617, 1700, 1717, 1718, 1800, 1819, 1900, 1919, 1920, 2000, 2002, 2020, 2021, 2100, 2121, 2122, 2200, 2223, 2300, 2323, 2324, 2400, 2424, 2425, 2500, 2526, 2600, 2626, 2627, 2700, 2728, 2800, 2828, 2829, 2900, 2929, 2930, 3000, 3003, 3030, 3031, 3100, 3131, 3132, 3200, 3232, 3233, 3300, 3334, 3400, 3434, 3435, 3500, 3535, 3536, 3600, 3637, 3700, 3737, 3738, 3800, 3838, 3839, 3900, 3939, 3940, 4000, 4004, 4040, 4041, 4100, 4141, 4142, 4200, 4242, 4243, 4300, 4343, 4344, 4400, 4445, 4500, 4546, 4600, 4646, 4647, 4700, 4747, 4748, 4800, 4848, 4849, 4900, 4949, 4950, 5005, 5050, 5051, 5100, 5151, 5152, 5200, 5252, 5253, 5300, 5353, 5400, 5455, 5500, 5556, 5600, 5656, 5657, 5700, 5757, 5758, 5800, 5858, 5859, 5900, 5959, 5960, 5995, 6000, 6060, 6061, 6100, 6161, 6162, 6200, 6262, 6263, 6300, 6364, 6400, 6464, 6465, 6500, 6565, 6566, 6600, 6667, 6700, 6767, 6768, 6800, 6868, 6869, 6969, 6900, 6970, 7000, 7070, 7071, 7080, 7100, 7172, 7200, 7273, 7300, 7373, 7374, 7400, 7474, 7475, 7500, 7575, 7576, 7600, 7676, 7677, 7700, 7778, 7800, 7878, 7879, 7900, 7979, 8000, 8008, 8080, 8081, 8100, 8182, 8200, 8282, 8283, 8300, 8383, 8384, 8400, 8484, 8485, 8500, 8585, 8586, 8600, 8686, 8687, 8700, 8787, 8788, 8800, 8889, 8900, 8989, 8990, 9091, 9100, 9191, 9192, 9200, 9292, 9293, 9300, 9393, 9394, 9400, 9494, 9495, 9500, 9595, 9596, 9600, 9696, 9697, 9700, 9797, 9798, 9800, 9898, 9899, 9900.||15000||5000|
How to apply for personalized or fancy number plate?
Now the question is how you will apply for a personalized or fancy number plate. Is the process very difficult and time-consuming? Well, it’s not. Let us see below.
- As per the Motor Vehicle Rules, 1989, you will have to submit the application for fancy numbers at the respective RTO office
- Once a special number is approved to you, you will be required to pay the agreed charges
- It could be that there is more than one application for any particular registration number, the same will be chosen through an auction
- The booking of a fancy number of the vehicle is valid for 30 days within which you must complete the registration process of the vehicle.
The difference in the format of the car number plate
You must have seen quite many abbreviations in a vehicle number plate and must be wondering what all those stands for? So, let’s see what are those all about. There can be a small variation in the car number plate. In few of states in India, the initial 0 of the district court is replaced from the vehicle number plate by a letter. These letters signify the class of the vehicle. Below is the list of the letters and the type of vehicles:
- C means for SUVs and Cars
- P means vehicles carrying passengers like buses, etc.
- E signifies vehicles running in electric
- R signifies three-wheeler vehicles like rickshaws
- S signifies two-wheeler’s vehicles
- T means vehicles carrying tourists
- Y means hiring vehicles
- V signifies pickup trucks and vans
Importance of the various colours in vehicle number plates
This is a very common thing which you are seeing every day in your daily life, however not aware of what does the different colours in a vehicle number plate signifies. Have a look at the below points and you will come to know the meaning of those colours.
- White: When the vehicle number plate is white in colour and in black font, the vehicle is a private one and not to be used commercially
- Yellow: When the number plate is yellow in colour with black font, the vehicle is a taxi which is used commercially or a truck. The driver of the vehicle would require a license from the respective registering authority
- Blue: When the number plate is blue in colour with white text, the vehicle is used by a foreign delegate. The vehicle number plate will show the country code in the place of the code of the state
- Black: When the number plate is black with yellow font, the vehicle is being commercially used by a private owner who has agreed to rent the vehicle
- Red: When the number plate is red, the vehicle is used by the Indian President or any governors of the state
- Rising Arrow: These are only used by Military vehicles. The scheme uses wide arrow at the beginning and the code of the state is replaced by the year of manufacturing of the vehicle.
Special and Distinct Vehicle Registration Formats
Certain categories of VVIPs (Very Very Important Person) have a special type of number plates.
There are special types of vehicles which need not follow the usual set-up of High-Security Registration Plates and they are as below:
- Vehicles belonging to the President of India.
- Vehicles belonging to the Governor of numerous states in India
- Vehicles which belongs to the Military
- Vehicles belonging to the Diplomats who are serving India
- Vehicles belonging to the State Government
So now, you can choose a fancy number and make your vehicle look interesting, different from other vehicles and eye-catchy. But make sure you follow the traffic rules and signals for a safe life and a safe drive.
Yes, you can keep your fancy number plate if you decide to sell or scrap the car. You will have to fill V317 form to notify the RTO authorities that the plate needs to be taken off the vehicle.
No, it isn’t compulsory. It’s optional.
Yes, you can visit the below official site to know the details and get step by step guidance:
https://parivahan.gov.in › parivahan › sites › default › files › FAQDOCS
Yes, every state has its own fancy number lists which are available.