United India Insurance has been at the forefront of selling insurance policies for a long time now. The company was incorporated on the 18th of February 1938. And along with several other insurance companies, United India insurance became nationalized in 1972. Ever since the insurance company has only moved forward in terms of growth and sales. United India insurance employs more than 18,300 employees and has 1340 offices pan India.
United India Insurance has a varied range of products to cater to different needs and requirements. The insurer offers coverage to more than 1 crore policyholders. United India has been extremely successful in creating complex and unique solutions for customers such as GMR for Hyderabad International Airport, Tirupati-Tirumala Devasthanam, ONGC limited, etc. United India has also implemented several large scale projects such as Universal Health Insurance Program for the Government of India, insurance against Tsunami, which covers over 4.59 families in 4 states, Vijaya Raji Janani Kalyan Yojana which covers 45 lakh women in Madhya Pradesh.
Why Select United India Insurance?
If you are on the fence whether to select United India bike insurance or not, here are some major reasons why you should go ahead with the insurer.
- United India insurance is present in more than 200 Tier II and Tier III towns and villages, thanks to its innovative micro office concept
- You are never too far away from a branch office since United India has over 1340 offices in India
- United India serves more than 1 crore policyholders, showing the immense trust that policyholders have on the brand
- The insurer boasts of a quick settlement process for its policies
- The claim settlement ratio for motor insurance for United India stood at an impressive 91.72% for 2017-2018 and for health insurance the ratio was 110.95%
- United India has a myriad of policies on offer that you can choose from
Overview of United India two-wheeler insurance
Riding on Indian roads is a dangerous proposition. It isn’t always about you riding carefully or about following rules. There are several instances where one might be at the receiving end of the carelessness of someone else. However, the agony doesn’t stop there. If there are any damages or injuries, you must pay for those from your pockets. Unless you have United India bike insurance. Riding a bike involves risk right from the moment you take it out of your building or house gate.
The presence of United India bike insurance will negate any such unforeseen events. While it might not be able to help you avoid accidents or incidents, it surely will take care of the financial side of things. United India two-wheeler insurance plans are comprehensive plans that offer great value for your money.
Key features and benefits of United India two-wheeler insurance
Here are some key features of United India two-wheeler insurance:
- Right from the onset, you have the option to either buy the policy online or offline
- The plan offers a unique feature of extending the geographic boundaries of the policy by paying a small premium
- Should your bike get stolen or damaged, the policy pays guaranteed compensation in such instances
- The plan offers a personal accident cover for the co-passenger of up to INR 1 lakh along with the basic coverage
- You can opt for a third party liability policy to cover you in case of accidents that involves other individuals or properties
- United India has a team dedicated to offering you seamless and hassle-free claims
- The insurer offers several discounts that will aid you in reducing your policy premium
- The brand boasts of a strong customer service department to help you through any issues or concerns
- United India offers several add-ons, aimed at enhancing the coverage of your United India bike insurance
Plans offered by United India two-wheeler insurance
You can buy United India bike insurance plan in two simple trims. The third-party liability trim or the package trim. Here are the details.
- Third-Party Liability Insurance Plans
A third-party liability policy is the most basic bike insurance policy that you can buy. If a policyholder meets with an accident and there is damage or injury to other individuals or properties, the policy has your back. Essentially it covers the liabilities to a third party in the case of an accident.
The plan also includes a personal accident cover for the owner of the bike or the rider of the bike. The minimal coverage on offer ensures that the policy premiums are low as compared to a comprehensive plan. Recent amendments to the Motor Vehicles Act, the same act which mandates third-party liability policy, means that new bikes will be sold along with a five-year third-party liability policy.
- Package Policy Insurance Plans
Bikers who need additional coverage apart from the bare minimum third party liability policy can rely on package policy. The package policy or comprehensive policy offers a lot of additional features and benefits at an additional premium. It includes the mandatory third-party liability policy and offers own damage cover for the bike owner.
The plan offers coverage against natural calamities such as floods, cyclones, hurricanes, etc. man-made calamities such as strikes, riots, terrorism, etc. You can also opt for a personal accident cover of INR 15 lakh along with the plan. Bikers who already have existing insurance of INR 15 lakh or more can choose to bypass this feature.
- Long term plan (up to five years)
United India two-wheeler insurance is available for a longer duration as well. You can opt for the third-party liability policy or even the Package policy for a duration of 5 years. This is to keep in line with the amendments to the Motor Vehicle Act.
Coverage and exclusions under United Two-wheeler Insurance Plans
As a policy buyer or potential policy buyer, it is recommended that you get into the habit of briefly understanding the policies that you are investing in. This will help you better understand the policy and avoid possible claim rejections, due to not being aware of the exclusions. Policy coverage refers to all the scenarios and situations where your policy holds good. On the other hand, exclusions are all the scenarios that your policy does not cover.
On buying United India two-wheeler insurance, you get access to the following coverage.
- Liabilities for third parties in accidents that involve third party individuals or properties
- A personal accident cover of up to INR 15 lakhs on the death or permanent disability of the insured
- A personal accident cover of INR 1 lakh for the co-passenger or pillion rider
- Damage or loss of the vehicle in the event that it gets stolen
- Damage or loss incurred due to accidents by external factors
- Damage or loss of the bike due to burglary, theft, housebreaking, etc.
- Damage or loss of the bike caused by natural calamities such as landslides, cyclones, floods, earthquakes, etc.
- Damages caused by fire, lightning, explosion, etc.
- Damage or loss of the bike caused by man-made calamities such as riots, strikes, terrorism, malicious activities, etc.
- Damages to the bike while it is in transit by rail, road, waterways or by the air
Exclusions of United Two-wheeler Insurance Plans
When you buy United India bike insurance, the following scenarios are not covered in the policy.
- Damages caused by normal wear and tear of the mechanical or electrical parts of the bike
- Any sort of damages to the tyres, unless the bike is also damaged
- If the rider meets with an accident and is found to ride without driving license
- If the rider was under the influence of alcohol or narcotics while riding the bike
- Damages to the bike while it was in use for illegal activities
- Damages to the vehicle as a part of any wars or nuclear perils
- If the bike is used outside of its predefined geographical limits
- If the bike is used for racing, speeding tests, reliability tests, etc.
Add – on features under United Bike Insurance Plans
One of the advantages of buying United India two-wheeler insurance is that you can enhance the capabilities of the policy with the help of add-ons. You can plug in add-ons or riders to your United India bike insurance if there is a need for additional coverage, apart from the standard policy. Here are the add-ons that you can choose from.
- Extension of Geographic Limits
If you are someone who likes to ride a lot, the idea of crossing borders to another country on your bike is an enticing temptation. However, the risks of riding a bike follow to other countries as well. Fortunately, with United India two-wheeler insurance, you can extend the geographical borders of your policy. By paying a small premium, you can extend your policy coverage to countries like Nepal, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, and the Maldives.
- Personal Accident Cover for an unnamed person
The owner of the bike can opt for this add-on if they frequently provide rides to others as pillions or have someone else ride their bike. The personal accident cover for an unknown person will offer compensation in the case of injuries, death or disability of the individual.
- Cover for Non-Electrical parts
This add-on provides cover for all the non-electrical accessories of the bike such as the mirror, carry bags, helmets, etc. Should there be any damage to these parts, the policy will compensate for the same.
- Nil Depreciation
Nil depreciation or zero depreciation is one of the most famous add-ons as far as bike insurance policies are concerned. When you claim your policy, the insurance company will compensate for the repairs or replacement of parts but only after deducting the depreciation. You will end up paying the difference from your pockets. However, opting for the nil depreciation cover ensures that you do not have to pay for the depreciation of parts.
- Electrical/Electronic Accessories
Bikers usually add a few electrical or electronic accessories to add appeal to their bikes. If you have done any such modifications, opting for the electrical or electronic accessories add-on might be beneficial. By paying a small amount in premium, you can get adequate coverage for these modifications.
Rate of Depreciation of United Bike Insurance Plans
United India bike insurance follows the below depreciation rate for its different bike parts.
Depreciation in %
Up to 6 months from buying the plan
Between 6 months and a year of buying the plan
Between 1 year and 2 years of buying the plan
Between 2 years and 3 years of buying the plan
Between 3 years and 4 years of buying the plan
Between 4 years and 5 years of buying the plan
Between 5 years and 10 years of buying the plan
Above 10 years of buying the plan
Eligibility for United Two-wheeler Insurance Plans
The eligibility criteria for buying United India two-wheeler insurance are as follows.
- Registration Certificate
Your bike must be registered at a local RTO and you must have a valid registration certificate for your bike.
- Inform About Modifications
If you have made any aesthetic or performance modifications to your bike, it is recommended to mention the same to the insurer.
- Premium Payment
You must pay the policy premium to secure a policy from United India insurance for your bike.
- Policy Transfer
Should you decide to sell your bike, it is recommended that you transfer the policy to the new owner of the bike. The new owner must then buy a new policy for the bike.
- Renew your Policy
Bike insurance policies usually range from one to three years. It is essential that you renew your policy before it expires, else you will miss out on the features. Missing to renew on time might lead to hassles in the form of bike inspection, fines, etc.
Discounts offered by United insurance Bike Insurance Plans
United India Insurance supports several types of discounts. These essentially help you reduce your policy premiums by a considerable margin. And more importantly, you can club more than one of these discount mechanisms.
- No Claims Bonus
The no-claims bonus or NCB is one of the most recognized discounts for vehicle insurance policies. For every year that you do not make any claims, you earn a certain percentage as a discount. The discount starts at a minimum of 20% and goes up to 50% or five consecutive years. And, if you sell your bike, you can still retain the NCB and use it on the new insurance policy.
- Anti-Theft device
The ARAI has an approved list of anti-theft devices that you can install on your bike. These devices will increase the security of your bike and at the same time offer you a discount of 2.5% on your own-damage component.
- Voluntary Deductibles
A deductible is an amount that the insured must pay while claiming their policy. It might seem counter-productive for some, but deductibles can help you in reducing your policy premiums. A higher deductible would translate to lower policy premiums. It is ideal for individuals who are confident that they won’t have to make claims.
- AAI Membership
Being a member of the Automobile Association of India is another great way to earn some discounts. You not only get to be a part of a larger community of riders but also get discounts on renewing your policy.
Buy United India Bike Insurance
As mentioned above, you can either buy United India two-wheeler insurance online or offline. Buying a policy offline refers to the traditional method of reaching out to an insurance advisor or visiting a branch office and buying a policy. And online mode allows policy buyers to buy policies from the comfort of their homes.
To buy United India bike insurance online, you can visit the website of United India and look for Quote and Buy option on the website. An easier alternative is to visit Turtlemint. Turtlemint is a website that allows interested buyers to look for policies before zeroing down on one. Browsing through various options will allow you to pick up a policy that not only suits your budget but also your requirements.
Turtlemint has partnered with United India insurance to sell their products on their website. On visiting Turtlemint’s website you can view, review and compare different policies before buying United India two-wheeler insurance. Here are the steps that you need to follow.
- Visit https://www.turtlemint.com/two-wheeler-insurance and enter the registration number of your bike to look for available plans
- The website lets you look for plans by merely entering your bike’s purchase year and place of registration
- Up next, you must provide the following details of your bike,
- Year of manufacture
- Fuel type
- Previous policy details
- Claims made during the previous policy
- Previous policy provider
- You will then be able to view the available bike insurance policies and premiums
- Once you are satisfied with a policy, you will be able to buy the policy from the same page.
Documents required to buy/renew the policy
To buy or renew United India two-wheeler insurance, you must furnish the following documents.
- Any Identity proof in the form of PAN, Passport, Driving License, Aadhar, etc.
- Registration number of the bike
- Registration Certificate of the bike
- Any address proof such as Passport, Driving License, Government identity card, etc.
- A photograph of the applicant.
The renewal process for United insurance Bike Insurance Plans
To renew your bike insurance policy, you can visit United India Insurance’s website and look for the renew or quick renewal option. You can provide your existing policy number and the website will quickly check if it’s still valid or not. The next steps require you to provide additional details of your bike, personal data and get the quote from the insurer. Once you are satisfied with what you see, you can proceed to renew your policy.
Alternatively, you can visit Turtlemint to renew your United India bike insurance. An added benefit of renewing from Turtlemint is that you can compare among different insurers and opt for the best fit. Registered members have access to an even better experience since their website stores their data for quick renewals.
The claim process for United insurance Bike Insurance Policies:
Should there be an unfortunate accident or incident that requires you to claim your policy, here are the steps that you must follow.
- Make it a point to inform United India insurance at the earliest about the incident. You must mention the time, place and details of the incident. If the accident is not severe, you can visit a local branch and do the same
- It is recommended that you do not move the vehicle from the spot of incident or accident without the insurer mentioning the same. In some cases like a riot, fire, etc. the insurer might send a surveyor to take a look at the scene
- For accidents that involve other individuals or properties, it is advisable to file an FIR at the nearest police station
- The next step is to get your bike repaired. You can either visit a network garage or a normal garage. Visiting a network garage will enable you to avail of cashless service. For other garages, you would need to get a quotation from the garage and submit the same to United India Insurance Company
- The only point to keep in mind is to not start the repair works unless a surveyor reviews the damage and approves it
- For visits to the non-network garage, you must submit all the bills to United India insurance for the claims.
You can also claim your United India two-wheeler insurance from Turtlemint. This is irrespective of whether you hold a policy with them or not. You can raise a claim on their website and their dedicated team will help you with the settlement process. For any claim related queries, you can call Turtlemint at 1800 266 0101 or send an email at email@example.com.