Royal Enfield is an Indian manufacturing brand which deals in manufacturing motorcycles. It has its headquarters in Chennai, India. In the year 1955, the Redditch Company partnered with Madras Motors, India in order to form ‘Enfield India.’ Royal Enfield is a subsidiary of Eicher Motors Ltd which is an Indian automaker. The company had its first production in the year 1901 and is the oldest brand in the world which is still in production and its Bullet model enjoys the longest production run of all time. The company manufactures the Royal Enfield Bullet and other single and twin-cylinder motorcycles. Royal Enfield currently sells its manufactured motorcycles in more than 50 countries and has surpassed Harley- Davidson in global sales in the year 2015. Royal Enfield continues to use the motto ‘Made like a gun,’ in memory of its legacy. It is the fastest-growing bike maker in the country.
Top Royal Enfield bike models
Here are the top five models of bike manufactured by Royal Enfield which are quite popular among vehicle enthusiasts
|Name of the Model||Salient Features|
|Royal Enfield Classic 350||Royal Enfield Classic comes with 350cc and fuel-injected engine mated to a 5-speed gearbox. It is a cruiser motorcycle which is also the highest selling motorcycle in its segment. Royal Enfield Classic 350 is known for its new UCE and retro-styling. Its features include halogen headlamp, bulb indicators and tall lamp, battery indicator and odometer, analogue speedometer, fuel gauge, short silencer, classic toolbox and more.|
|Royal Enfield Himalayan||In the adventure touring segment, Royal Enfield Himalayan is the most affordable bike of Royal Enfield. It is a commuter bike with a single, 5-speed mated manual gearbox. It has a torquey motor, comfortable upright riding stance and great off-roading capabilities. It also has various new features which include the rear wheel, hazard light switch, 17-inch rear tyre, disc brake in front, large instrument panel, new chassis and many more.|
|Royal Enfield Bullet 350||Royal Enfield Bullet is the oldest model in India which makes it an iconic bike. Royal Enfield Bullet 350 features ammeter, retro dials along with analogue speedometer, key slot, spoke wheels, disc brake only at the front, single downtube chassis, dual shock absorbers and many more.|
|Royal Enfield Continental GT 650||Royal Enfield Continental GT 650 generates the power of 47bhpand torque of 52 nm. It has a 648cc, double cylinder engine with a 6-speed manual gearbox. It has a refined engine and excellent build quality. Available in 3 variants and 5 colours, this model is known for its retro, cafe-racer styling.|
|Royal Enfield Thunderbird 350||Royal Enfield Thunderbird 350 is a cruiser bike and is known as Royal Enfield Rumbler in the exports market. It generates a power of 19.8 bhp and torque of 28nm from its 364cc, single-cylinder engine mated to 5-speed manual gearbox. Royal Enfield Thunderbird 350 has an anti-locking system, both front and rear disk brakes, teardrop-shaped fuel tank, projector headlamp, digital instruments, LED taillight, fuel gauge and other cosmetic enhancements.|
Why you should insure your Royal Enfield bike?
Whichever Royal Enfield bike that you buy you need to insure the bike under a relevant two-wheeler insurance policy. This is because of the guidelines mentioned in the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 which govern the traffic rules in India. The Act mandates a valid insurance policy on every vehicle running on Indian roads and if you are using your bike in India, you should get it insured under a valid insurance policy to comply with the legal rules. Besides the legal mandate of insuring your Royal Enfield bike, there are other benefits too which you can avail if you insure your bike under a two-wheeler insurance plan. These benefits are as follows –
- In case of an accident where you hurt another individual or damage someone’s property, you might be held financially responsible for the damages caused. A two wheeler insurance policy covers this responsibility and pays the damages incurred thereby freeing you from any financial strain
- If your bike suffers any damage, a comprehensive bike insurance policy pays for the repair costs that you incur. This also gives you financial assistance because the repair costs of your Royal Enfield bike might be considerable
- If your bike is stolen you would incur a considerable financial loss because Royal Enfield bikes are quite expensive. However, if you have a comprehensive insurance cover on your bike, this financial loss would also be covered and the policy would pay for the loss suffered
Given these reasons, insuring your Royal Enfield bike under a valid insurance policy is a sensible decision which you should definitely take.
Types of Royal Enfield bike insurance plans
There are two types of insurance plans available for your Royal Enfield bike. These plans are discussed below
- Third party liability plans
Third party liability plans offer the mandatory cover which is specified under the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988. This plan covers the liability incurred if you damage third party property or if you cause bodily injury or accidental death of another individual due to your bike.
- Comprehensive two wheeler insurance plans
As the name suggests, comprehensive two wheeler insurance policies offer a comprehensive scope of coverage for your Royal Enfield bike. These plans cover the mandatory third party liability and also cover the damages suffered by your bike. Moreover, there are optional additional coverage benefits which you can choose to customize your coverage and make your Royal Enfield bike insurance policy more comprehensive in terms of the coverage offered. Comprehensive bike insurance plans are optional and you can choose these plans if you are looking for an all-round coverage for your bike.
Here is a table comparing both third party and comprehensive bike insurance plans against one another
|Third party liability policy||Comprehensive bike insurance policy|
|This is a mandatory cover as specified under the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988. Every vehicle should have this minimum cover before being used on Indian roads||This is an optional cover which you can take if you want a comprehensive coverage under your bike insurance policy|
|The policy covers third party liabilities suffered in case of death, bodily injury or property damage suffered by third parties. Damages suffered by the bike are not covered||The policy covers both third party liability as well as the damages suffered by the bike itself.|
|The premium of the plan is low and fixed by the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI). The premium is same across all insurance companies||The premium is higher because of the wider coverage offered by the plan. The premium has two components – third party premium and own damage premium. Third party premium is fixed by IRDAI while own damage premium is fixed by the insurance company itself depending on different factors. The premium of comprehensive plans, therefore, varies across insurers|
|No optional add-on coverage benefits are allowed||A range of optional add-on coverage benefits are allowed|
|There is no premium discount offered under the plan||A range of premium discounts are allowed under the plan|
Inclusions under Royal Enfield bike insurance plans
The coverage benefits offered by Royal Enfield bike insurance plans depend on the type of policy that you buy. Third party policies cover the following instances of claims
- Financial liability suffered if a third party dies in an accident involving the bike
- Financial liability suffered if a third party is injured in an accident involving the bike
- Financial liability suffered if a third party property is damaged in an accident involving the bike
- Comprehensive bike insurance plans, on the other hand, provide the coverage offered by third party plans. In addition, the following types of contingencies are also covered by such policies –
- Damages suffered due to man-made causes like fire, riots, strike, malicious acts, etc.
- Damages suffered by natural causes like earthquakes, landslides, floods, storm, hurricane, typhoon, etc.
- Theft of the bike
- Damages suffered when the bike is being transported from one place to another
Moreover, there is a personal accident cover which is also necessary in bike insurance plans. This cover covers accidental deaths or disablements suffered when riding the bike. The coverage is available under both third party and comprehensive plans and the sum insured under the cover is INR 15 lakhs.
Exclusions under Royal Enfield bike insurance plans
While bike insurance plans provide coverage against all possible contingencies, there are instances of claims which are not covered. These instances are called policy exclusions and some of the common exclusions in all bike insurance plans are as follows
- Electrical or mechanical breakdown of your bike
- Claims incurred when driving without a valid driving license
- Claims incurred when driving outside the boundaries of India
- Claims incurred when driving under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol
- Depreciation of the bike
- Normal wear and tear due to usage of the bike
- Claims incurred when driving the bike for acts of criminal nature
- Claims incurred when the limitations of the use of the bike are violated
Types of add-on covers available under Royal Enfield bike insurance plans
If you opt for a comprehensive bike insurance policy for your Royal Enfield bike, you would be offered a range of add-on coverage benefits which you can add to your policy at an additional premium. Some of the commonly found add-ons, which are beneficial for increasing the scope of coverage of your bike, include the following
- Roadside assistance add-on
If your bike breaks down in the middle of the road and you are unable to take it to the nearest garage for repairs, the roadside assistance add-on would come to your rescue. Under this add-on, the insurance company provides 24/7 assistance for breakdowns and other contingencies like a flat tyre, empty fuel, etc.
- No claim protection add-on
If no claims are made in a policy year your bike insurance policy allows a premium discount at the time of renewal. This is called the no claim discount which keeps on increasing with every successive claim-free year. However, in case of a claim, the accumulated no claim discount becomes zero. The no claim protection add-on helps in preserving the no claim bonus even if there is a claim in your policy.
- Zero depreciation add-on
The parts of your bike undergo depreciation as the bike is used. When you make a claim, the insurance company deducts the cost of depreciation on the bike’s parts and then pays the claim. This deduction results in out-of-pocket expenses. Zero depreciation add-on nullifies the depreciation to zero. If you choose this add-on the insurance company pays the actual costs of the repaired parts without deducting depreciation thereby reducing your out-of-pocket expenses.
- Return to invoice add-on
If your Royal Enfield bike is stolen or damaged beyond repairs, the insurance pays the Insured Declared Value (IDV) of the policy as a claim. This IDV is arrived at by deducting the market value of the bike with age-based depreciation. If you choose this rider, you would get the invoice value of the bike as a claim in case of theft or total loss.
- Personal accident cover for pillion rider add-on
This add-on covers the pillion rider against accidental death and disablement suffered when riding the bike if the bike is involved in an accident.
- Consumables cover add-on
The cost of consumables, items which have a one-time use like engine oil, lubricants, nuts and bolts, etc., is not covered under bike insurance plans. However, if you opt for this add-on, the cost of consumables incurred on repairing the bike would be covered by the policy.
The premium of Royal Enfield bike insurance plans
Third party premiums are fixed by IRDAI every year and the premium is fixed across all insurance companies. However, if you choose a comprehensive bike insurance policy for your Royal Enfield bike, the premium would be calculated by the company based on various factors like –
- Model of the bike
- Make and a variant of the bike
- Manufacturing year
- Registration year
- Registration location
- Engine capacity, etc.
Though premiums of comprehensive bike insurance plans differ across insurance companies, here are the estimated premium rates of the popular Royal Enfield bike models for a comprehensive two wheeler insurance plan.
|Name of the Model||Price Range|
|Royal Enfield Classic 350||INR 7,672- INR 16,861|
|Royal Enfield Himalayan||INR 16,673- INR 19,192|
|Royal Enfield Bullet 350||INR 7,277- INR 18,438|
|Royal Enfield Continental GT 650||INR 18,393- INR 21,409|
|Royal Enfield Thunderbird 350||INR 7,619- INR 7,882|
How to apply for Royal Enfield bike insurance through Turtlemint?
You can easily buy a two wheeler insurance policy for your bike online through the website of any insurance company. However, in such cases, you would not be able to compare the premiums and plans of different insurance companies. Turtlemint, on the other hand, allows you to compare bike insurance plans and choose one which is the best. Turtlemint is tied-up with the top bike insurance providers of India and you can find the best policy for your Royal Enfield bike through Turtlemint’s platform. To apply for a Royal Enfield bike insurance policy through Turtlemint here are steps which you should take
- Visit https://www.turtlemint.com/two-wheeler-insurance/ and enter in your bike number to proceed
- If you don’t have a bike number, you can choose the RTO of the city where your bike would be registered to proceed
- Choose ‘Buy Policy for New Bike’ to find the best plans for your brand new Royal Enfield bike
- Then provide the details of your bike which include the make and model, manufacturing year, fuel type and variant
- In the next page, you can enter your contact details to save your premium quotes for the future. Alternatively, you can skip this step and check the premium quotes of different insurance companies
- On the page which shows the available plans and their respective premiums, you can choose add-ons to customize the policy. The premium would be duly updated
- Compare and select the best plan from the list and buy it online through Turtlemint
- To buy you would have to complete an online proposal form and pay the premium online through Turtlemint’s platform
- Once the premium is paid, the policy would be issued and you would get a soft copy of the policy in your mailbox for reference
How to renew Royal Enfield bike insurance plans?
Since it is mandatory to have a valid insurance plan on your Royal Enfield bike, you need to renew the policy regularly before the coverage expires. To renew, you can visit the insurance company’s website and renew the policy from there. Alternatively, if you have bought the policy from Turtlemint, you can log into your online Turtlemint account and renew your Royal Enfield bike insurance policy directly through Turtlemint.
If you are, however, looking to change insurers on renewal, you can visit Turtlemint and renew your policy with the best insurer. Just provide your bike details and previous policy details and you would be able to find the best bike insurance plans available in the market. Compare the plans and choose the best policy to renew your Royal Enfield bike insurance plan.
Claim process of Royal Enfield bike insurance plans
To make a claim in your Royal Enfield bike insurance policy, here are the steps which you should follow
- Inform the insurance company immediately of the claim
- If you have suffered a third party claim, you should file a police FIR. The claim would, then, be taken to the motor accidents tribunal which would rule the amount of claim payable. Once the tribunal gives its ruling, the insurance company would pay the claim to the third party
- If your own bike has been damaged, the insurance company would inform you of the nearest preferred garage wherein you can make a cashless claim
- Take your bike to the preferred garage where the surveyor of the insurer would come to assess the extent of damage
- The surveyor would assess the damages and file a claim report based on which the insurance company would approve your cashless claim
- After approval, the garage would begin repair works on your bike
- Once the bike is repaired, the insurance company would directly settle the garage’s bills and you can take delivery of the bike
- If, however, you get your bike repaired in a non-networked garage, you have to pay the repair bills. After the repair is done, file a claim with the insurance company to get reimbursement of the costs incurred.
- If your bike is stolen, file a police FIR. The police would try and trace your bike and if they are unable to do so, they would issue a non-traceable certificate. Submit this certificate to the insurance company to get the claim paid under your policy
You can also get the settlement of your bike insurance claim through Turtlemint. Turtlemint has a dedicated claim settlement department which takes the necessary steps to get your claims settled. All you have to do is inform Turtlemint of your claim by calling them at 1800 266 0101 or by sending them an email at email@example.com and your claim would be handled by Turtlemint and settled effectively.
Yes, there are different types of premium discounts under comprehensive Royal Enfield bike insurance plans. These discounts are allowed for the following reasons
- If you install safety devices in your bike
- If you are a member of a recognized automobile association
- If you opt for a voluntary deductible
- If you have a no claim bonus from not making claims in previous years
These discounts can be applied to reduce your premium outgo.
A compulsory deductible is that portion of the claim which you have to pay from your pockets every time there is a claim in your bike insurance policy. This is your out of pocket expense which is mandatory and the insurance company would pay claims exceeding the deductible limit.
No, a police FIR is needed only in case of the third party and theft claims. If your bike only suffers damage, no FIR is needed.
In case of a bike insurance claim, the following documents would have to be submitted
- The claim form, duly filled and signed by the policyholder
- Policy document
- Copy of the driving license
- Copy of the RC book of the bike
- Police FIR for third party and theft claims
- Identity proof of the policyholder
- Any other document as needed by the insurance company
The rate of no claim bonus depends on the number of successive claim-free years that you have had. The rates are as follows
|Number of claim-free years||No claim bonus rate|
|One claim-free year||20%|
|Two successive claim-free years||25%|
|Three successive claim-free years||35%|
|Four successive claim-free years||45%|
|Five successive claim-free years||50%|