Tata Motors Limited is an Indian multinational automobile manufacturing company with its headquarters located in Mumbai, Maharashtra. It was formerly known as Tata Engineering and Locomotive Company. Being a part of Tata Group, Tata Motors is a leading global automobile manufacturer and a $45 billion organisation. The company offers an extensive range of smart, integrated and e-mobility solutions and has a diverse portfolio which includes sports utility vehicles, an extensive range of cars, buses, trucks, defence vehicles and commercial vehicles. The company is among India’s top four-passenger vehicle brands with its products in utility vehicles, midsize and compact segments. Its manufacturing base is spread across six states in India and it has over 250 dealerships across 27 states and 4 Union Territories. Tata Motors has the third-largest sales and network of service with a large consumer base in the Indian Subcontinent. Tata Motors has been recognised for creating significant value for all and yielding consistent excellent results. The company’s constant focus on technology and innovation makes it a leader in the commercial market of India and places it amongst the top vehicle manufacturer in the world.
Top car models offered by Tata Motors
Here are some of the best models of Tata Motors which are popular in the market
Name of the Model
Tata Tiago facelift has a BS6 compliant, three-cylinder petrol engine. The engine of the model is available in both five-speed AMT and five-speed manual option. It has received a second update since its launch in India. It is available in seven variants and different colour options. It gets front fog lamps, rear defogger, automatic climate control, 8-speaker sound system, auto electrically adjustable and foldable ORVMs and many more. The safety features of Tata Tiago include ABS with EBD, corner stability control and dual front airbags.
Tata Nexon has received a first comprehensive update since its first launch in 2017 which has made it more recommendable and appealing. It is available in 32 variants with two engine options which are BS6 compliant and two transmission options. Its specifications includes sharp headlamps, all-digital instrument cluster, rounded-off grille, cruise control, fast mobile charger and rain-sensing wipers.
Tata Harrier is an Urban SUV which comes packed with a host of advanced enhancements and executing features. It is available with 6-speed automatic transmission. Its design features include diamond cut alloys, hid projector headlamps, LED tail lamps, premium indulgent leather seats, shark fin antenna and much more. For safety, it has six airbags, electronic safety program, auto drumming IRVM and front fog lamps with cornering function.
Tata Bolt is a hatchback which is available in both fuel trims with four variants in each petrol and diesel engine. Its rear bench legroom is one of the best in the segment. It’s loaded features include automatic climate control, projector headlamps, touchscreen infotainment system and many more. Tata Bolt is high on safety with the anti-locking braking system, airbags, corner stability control and electronic brake-force distribution in place.
Tata Zest is a premium sub-four metre sedan which offers powerful engine, spacious cabins and appealing looks. It has light steering, push slow speed ride and linear power delivery. Tata Zest is available in diesel and petrol versions with a 5-speed manual transmission with an automated manual option on diesel versions. It comes with features such as driver information display, adjustable steering wheel, dual-tone interiors, a cup holder in the centre console, 8-speaker audio system, daytime running lamps and a lot more. Its ride quality is amongst the best in its class.
Tata Motors car insurance
Whatever Tata Motors car that you choose, you need to insure the car under a valid car insurance policy. A car insurance policy is a must according to the rules of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988. So, if you want to drive your Tata Motors car in India, you should insure it.
When looking for Tata Motors insurance for your car, you have two options. There are two types of car insurance plans which you can choose from. These are as follows –
Types of Tata Motors car insurance plans –
- Third-party liability plans
Third-party liability plans are the basic plans which cover third party liabilities suffered in case of an accident involving the car. These plans are mandatory as per law and your car is supposed to carry a minimum of third party coverage to legally run on Indian roads.
- Comprehensive plans
Comprehensive plans are those which offer a wider scope of coverage to your car. These plans cover the necessary third party liability and also protect against the damages suffered by the car itself. If your car is damaged or stolen, comprehensive plans pay for the financial loss that you suffer.
Inclusions in Tata Motors car insurance plans
A third party policy covers only third party liabilities which might arise if –
- Your car causes the death of third parties
- Your car causes third party physical injuries
- Your car damages third party property
In such cases, the liability that you suffer, for the financial loss caused to third parties, is covered by the car insurance policy.
If you opt for a comprehensive policy, the above-mentioned third party liabilities would be covered. Moreover, coverage would also be provided for –
- Damages suffered due to man-made causes like fire, riots, malicious acts, etc.
- Damages suffered due to natural causes like landslides, earthquakes, flood, lightning, etc.
- Damages suffered when transporting the car
- Theft of the car
There is a personal accident cover too which is available in both third-party and comprehensive policies. Under this personal accident cover, a lump sum benefit is paid if the owner or driver of the car suffers accidental death or disablement when using the car.
Exclusions in Tata Motors car insurance plans
The following types of damages and claims are not covered by Tata Motors car insurance plans, whether you choose third party plans or comprehensive ones –
- Damages incurred when driving without a driving license
- Damages incurred when driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs
- Damages incurred when driving outside the boundaries of India
- Damages incurred when committing acts of criminal nature
- Damages incurred when using the car against its usage restrictions
- Consequential losses or damages
- Depreciation and normal wear and tear of the car
- Deliberate accidents and self-inflicted injuries
- Damages incurred when driving without a valid car insurance policy
Add-ons under Tata Motors car insurance plans
A comprehensive car insurance policy offers different add-on coverage benefits besides the coverage that it provides. These coverage benefits can be chosen depending on your coverage needs. Every additional coverage benefit that you choose would incur an additional premium but these add-ons would enhance your coverage considerably. Some of the commonly found add-ons under Tata Motors car insurance plans are as follows –
- Zero depreciation add-on
Depreciation is an excluded item in car insurance plans. As such, when a claim for their own damage is made, the insurance company deducts the cost of deprecation from the parts of the car which have been repaired or replaced. This deduction can be considerable and result in huge out-of-pocket expenses. A zero depreciation add-on removes this deduction and the insurance company pays the full amount of the parts. The claim amount is, therefore, increased through the add-on.
- Roadside assistance add-on
If your car breaks down in the middle of the road and you have no solution to take the car to the nearest garage, this add-on proves useful. Under this add-on, the insurance company provides you with round-the-clock assistance whenever you are using the car and it breaks down. You get assistance in the form of fuel, replacement of flat tyre, jump-starting the battery, etc. under this add-on.
- Engine protection add-on
If water seeps into the engine of the car and you start the car, the engine gets damaged. This damage is not covered under car insurance plans. However, if this add-on is added to the policy, coverage for engine damage due to water seepage is allowed.
- NCB protection add-on
You get a no claim bonus if you don’t make a claim in your policy. This bonus is allowed every year and the rate increases after every subsequent claim-free year going up to 50%. However, if a claim is made, the accumulated no claim bonus is wiped out. You can protect the bonus even in case of a claim through the NCB protection add-on.
- Return to invoice add-on
If your car is stolen or damaged beyond repairs, the Insured Declared Value of the car insurance policy is paid as claim. This value is lower than the cost at which you bought the car. The return to invoice add-on pays a higher claim in total loss or theft cases. If the add-on is selected, the invoice value of the car would be paid which is higher than the IDV.
- Personal accident cover for passengers
In your car insurance policy, you get an inbuilt personal accident cover for the owner/driver of the car. However, the passengers are also exposed to accidental death and disablements and they should also be covered. This add-on, therefore, provides the personal accident cover for the passengers too.
You can choose one or more add-ons as per your coverage requirements and customise your Tata Motors car insurance plan.
Premiums of Tata Motors car insurance plans
Third-party premiums of Tata Motors car insurance plans are fixed by the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority (IRDA). Own damage premiums, however, are computed by insurance companies and it includes the premium of third party coverage, own damage cover and personal accident cover. The premium depends on a lot of factors like the make, model and variant of the car, its manufacturing year, registration location, etc. Here are the premiums of comprehensive car insurance plans for some of the most popular Tata Motors car models –
Name of the Model
INR 15,801- INR 27,142
INR 17,992- INR 37,420
INR 42,155 – INR 55,546
INR 16, 859- INR 39,137
INR 17,906- INR 28,586
Discounts under Tata Motors car insurance plans
In a comprehensive car insurance policy, you can earn different types of premium discounts. These discounts help in reducing the premium cost and are worth knowing. So, let’s have a look –
- You can earn a discount of up to 50% through no claim bonus if you don’t make claims in your car insurance plan
- A discount is allowed if you are a member of a recognized automobile association
- There is a discount for installing safety features in your Tata Motors car
- If you buy the policy online, you can get a premium discount
- You can also earn a discount by choosing a voluntary deductible and paying a part of the claim yourself
How to apply for Tata Motors car insurance through Turtlemint?
Car insurance plans are available online and you can buy a policy for your Tata Motors car through Turtlemint’s website. Turtlemint is partnered with leading general insurance providers who offer some of the best car insurance policies for your car. To buy car insurance online through Turtlemint, here are the steps which you need to follow –
- Visit https://www.turtlemint.com/car-insurance/ and provide your car’s registration number
- If you don’t have the registration number you can simply enter the registration location to proceed further
- You would then have to select the model, variant and fuel type, manufacturing year and other relevant details of your car
- To save the premium quotes you can enter in your name and contact number
- You would then be able to check out different car insurance plans offered by different insurance companies. The plan benefit and premium rates would be mentioned
- Compare and choose a plan which offers an inclusive scope of coverage at the lowest premium
- Provide your details and pay the premium online to buy the policy
- Once the premium is paid, the policy would be instantly issued and you would get a soft copy of the policy on your email
How to do Tata car insurance renewals?
Annual renewals of your Tata Motors car insurance plan are needed so that you can fulfil the legal requirement and also get coverage on the car. At the time of renewal, you can continue the coverage with the same insurance company or you can switch to a new company. To stay with the same insurance company, you can visit the insurance company’s website, enter in your policy details and check the renewal premium. You would, then, have to pay the premium online and the policy would be instantly renewed. If you had bought the policy through Turtlemint, the renewal can also be done through Turtlemint. Simply log into your online Turtlemint account and renew the policy online.
If, however, you want to change the insurance company, you can compare and choose the best policy through Turtlemint. Visit https://www.turtlemint.com/car-insurance/ and enter in your car details. Also mention the details of your existing policy. You would be shown the renewal quotes of different companies and you can compare and choose the insurer. Pay the premium online through Turtlemint and your Tata car insurance renewal would be done.
Claim process of Tata Motors car insurance
In case of claims in your Tata Motors car insurance plan, you are required to follow certain steps to get a settlement of your claim. These steps are as follows –
- As soon as there is a claim, inform the insurance company immediately. The claim needs to be registered with the insurer and informing the company allows you to do just that
- If your car has suffered damage, the insurance company would inform you about the nearest preferred garage for cashless claims
- Take your car to the specified garage and wait for the surveyor’s visit
- The surveyor of the insurance company would assess the damages and prepare a report
- This report would be filed with the insurance company and the company would approve the claim based on the report
- Once the claim is approved, the garage would start the repairs and the insurance company would settle the repair costs directly with the garage
- Once repaired, you need to fulfil the claim-related documentation and take delivery of your car
- If there is a third party claim, the claim would be taken to the motor accidents claim tribunal
- The tribunal would adjudge the amount of legal liability that you face. Based on the tribunal’s judgement, the insurance company would pay the liability to the third party and compensate it for the loss suffered
- If your car is stolen, you need to file a police FIR. If the police are unable to locate your vehicle, they would issue a non-traceable certificate. Present this certificate to the insurance company and get your claim settled
Turtlemint also helps you get your car insurance claims settled. Turtlemint has a dedicated claim handling team which handles your claims, co-ordinates with the insurance company and gets your claim settled at the earliest. You need to inform Turtlemint of your car insurance claim either by calling 1800 266 0101 or by sending an email to email@example.com. The claim would then be handled by Turtlemint’s claim department and you can relax.
Documents needed for car insurance claim settlements
To get the settlement of your car insurance claim, the following documents should be submitted with the insurance company –
- Policy bond
- The claim form, filled and signed by the policyholder
- Identity proof of the policyholder
- Driving license which should be valid
- RC book of the car
- PUC certificate of the car
- Certificate of road tax paid
- Police FIR for theft and third party claims
- Non-traceable report from the police for theft claims
- Any other document needed by the insurance company
So, get your Tata Motors car insured for financial security against possible damages and also for driving the car legally.