Yamaha Motors Private Limited is one of the biggest two-wheeler manufacturers in the world. It made its foray in India in the year 1985 as a joint-venture company. The company became a 100% subsidiary of Yamaha Motor Company Limited, Japan in August 2001. Yamaha has gained fame for its two-stroke motorcycles which have excelled in premier class racing making it one of the best manufacturers. The manufacturing facilities of Yamaha Private Limited in India are situated in Surajpur, Faridabad and Kanchipuram. Yamaha Motors is customer-driven and has a wide network in the country with 2, 200 customer touch-points which includes 500 dealers. India Yamaha Company has made a prominent place in the manufacturing of performance-oriented motorcycles in India. The brand is best known for its off-road and sports motorcycles. With world-class products and services, the company has established itself as a well-known global brand for high-quality products and services. In the coming years, Yamaha (India) plans to move away from the mass segment and focus on premium products.
Popular Yamaha bike models
Here are five of the most popular models of Yamaha Motors
|Name of the model
|Yamaha Fascino 125
|Yamaha Fascino has a slick design and a unique appearance. It comes with new features and technologies with higher quality bodywork, newly designed headlight, all new-exterior design, new gauges and others. The model is powered by a BS-VI compliant, fuel-injected, air-cooled, 125cc blue core engine. Its unique stop and start system helps to prevent engine idling shutting down automatically starts with a single throttle twist
|Yamaha FZS-FI V3
|The new FZ-FI model has an air-cooled, two-valve, single-cylinder fuel-injected with ‘Blue Core’ engine mated to a 5-speed transmission. The model features single-channel ABS in the front wheel with disc brakes in the front and rear, negative LCD instrument cluster, all-new LED headlamp, motocross suspension, fuel warning indicator, pass light and a two-level seat. There is also an ECO indicator in the model which guides the riders with throttle modulation which helps to extract more fuel efficiency from the model engine giving a better low and mid-range performance.
|Yamaha MT-15 is a commuter pure-bred hyper naked bike and one of the most dynamic light-weights from the MT segment. It is available in three variants and three colours. It is powered by a 155cc engine mated to a 6-speed gearbox. Its evolution is driven by mass concentration, naked styling, agility, ultra-lightweight and wide handlebar. Its specifications include variable valve actuation, assist and slipper clutch, single-channel ABS with a disc brake, Bi-functional LED headlights, delta box frame and more.
|Yamaha YZF R15 V3
|Yamaha YZF R15 V3 power engine comes with the new 115cc powered liquid-cooled engine which comes paired with a 6-speed gearbox. The engine to the vehicle gets a lightweight forged aluminium piston. It also comes with variable valves actuation feature which helps in providing torque hard at low revolutions per minute and it continues to be the most powerful 150cc motorcycle in the country
|Yamaha FZ 25
|The new Yamaha FZ 25 gets a redesigned LED headlamp, negative FCD display, engine cowl and a side stand cut-off switch. It is powered by BS6 compliant 249cc air-cooled fuel-injected engine. The premium version of FZ 25 has knuckle guards and a short windscreen. It comes in the form of new front fascia that looks sharper and uses bi-function LED headlight which is flanked by LED DRLs. Its specifications include knuckle guards, better wind deflection and gold-painted wheels.
Why should you insure your Yamaha bike?
Insurance for your Yamaha bike is needed because of the following reasons –
- It is mandatory as per the rules of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988
- In case of theft of your vehicle, your Yamaha insurance policy would come to your aid. The policy would pay you financial compensation for the loss suffered due to theft of your bike
- If your bike is damaged, a comprehensive bike insurance policy would pay for the repair costs of your bike thereby saving your money
- If any individual is physically injured or killed due to the bike, the bike insurance policy would pay the legal liability which you face due to such injury or death. Moreover, if there is property damage, the policy would cover the loss suffered by the third party and compensate them on your behalf
Due to these reasons, you should insure your Yamaha bike before you drive the bike on Indian roads.
Types of insurance plans for Yamaha bikes
If you want to insure your Yamaha bike, there are two types of bike insurance policies available. These are as follows
- Third-party liability insurance plans
Under third party liability insurance plans, the policy covers only third party legal liability which you suffer due to causing injury, death or property damage to another party. This policy is legally mandatory and is the minimum basic coverage needed on your Yamaha bike.
- Comprehensive insurance plans
Comprehensive insurance plans are those which cover your bike against possible damages and also against third party liabilities. These policies, therefore, provide a wide scope of coverage and are, therefore, called comprehensive plans.
Inclusions in Yamaha bike insurance plans
Coverage under Yamaha bike insurance policies depends on the type of policy that you choose. Third-party liability plans cover the following instances of claims
- Third-party liability incurred on the death of a third party
- Third-party liability incurred on the physical injury suffered by a third party
- Third-party liability incurred on damage to the property of a third party
Comprehensive plans, on the other hand, cover the afore-mentioned instances as well as the damages suffered by the bike due to the following causes
- Natural disasters like floods, earthquakes, hurricanes, storms, cyclones, etc.
- Man-made disasters like an explosion, fire, malicious acts, riots, etc.
- Theft of the bike
- Damages suffered during transportation of the bike from one place to another
Moreover, both third party and comprehensive bike insurance plans provide coverage for accidental death and disablement suffered by the owner or driver of the bike. This cover is provided under the personal accident cover which is needed under both the policies and the cover value is INR 15 lakhs.
Exclusions under Yamaha bike insurance plans
There are some instances when the coverage under your Yamaha insurance policy would not be applicable. These instances are called policy exclusions and they include the following
- Consequential losses
- Losses due to depreciation and normal wear and tear of the bike
- Damages suffered due to war, nuclear radiation and related perils
- Damages suffered when driving without a valid license, outside the boundaries of India or under the influence of intoxicating substances
- Damages incurred when using the bike in violation of its usage limitations
- Damages suffered when committing illegal activities or due to deliberate acts
Add-ons available under Yamaha insurance plans
Comprehensive insurance policies for your Yamaha bike offer optional add-ons which help in increasing the coverage of the policy. These add-ons are available at an additional premium and you have the facility of choosing as many add-ons as you like. Some of the most popular add-ons which are available with Yamaha insurance plans include the following
- Zero depreciation cover
Since depreciation is not covered under bike insurance plans, the insurance company deducts the amount of depreciation before paying a claim. This deduction is quite considerable causing out-of-pocket expenses on your part. Zero depreciation cover is an add-on which removes the deduction for depreciation from the claim amount. The claim is, therefore, paid in full and your out-of-pocket expenses are minimized.
- Roadside assistance cover
If your bike breaks down in the middle of the road and you are unable to reach the nearest garage, the roadside assistance add-on would help you. Under this add-on, you get the promise of 24*7 service by the insurance company in case of breakdowns. Thus, if the add-on is selected, the insurance company offers assistance to help you reach the nearest garage and get the bike repaired.
- NCB protection cover
If you do not make a claim in your Yamaha bike insurance policy, you get a no claim bonus (NCB) which gives you a premium discount on renewal. The NCB also increases with each passing claim-free year until a claim is made. If a claim is made, the whole NCB becomes zero and you lose the discount. This add-on protects your NCB if you make a claim so that you can earn discounts on renewals.
- Return to invoice cover
If your bike is stolen or damaged beyond repairs, the insurance company pays the Insured Declared Value which is the depreciated cost of the bike. With this add-on, however, you get the invoice value of the bike in case of total loss or theft so that you can buy a new bike easily.
- Consumables cover
The consumables used in repairing of the bike, like engine oil, lubricants, screws, nuts and bolts, etc. are not covered under bike insurance plans. You have to pay for these costs yourself. If this add-on is selected, the cost of consumables would be covered in the claim amount.
- Personal accident cover for pillion rider
Bike insurance plans allow personal accident cover only for the owner or driver of the bike. With this add-on, however, the cover can be extended to include pillion riders riding on the bike with you.
Premium of Yamaha bike insurance plans
The premiums of Yamaha insurance policies depend on the type of policy that you buy, the make, model and variant of the bike, manufacturing year, engine capacity, registration location, etc. Third-party premiums are fixed by the IRDAI (Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority) and are fixed across all insurance companies. Comprehensive premiums, however, vary across insurance companies. Given below are the estimated premium amounts for comprehensive Yamaha insurance plans for the popular models of the company
|Name of the Model
|Yamaha Fascino 125
|INR 4366- INR 5,253
|Yamaha FZS FI V3
|INR 4,495-INR 4, 879
|INR 7,468- INR 8,059
|Yamaha R15 V3
|INR 7,386- INR 9,355
|Yamaha FZ 25
|INR 7,367- INR 8,600
How to buy Yamaha bike insurance through Turtlemint?
You can instantly buy an insurance cover on your Yamaha bike through Turtlemint’s online platform. The online website of Turtlemint provides an easy and simple user interface for buying bike insurance plans. Here are the steps which you can follow to get started and to buy Yamaha bike insurance online through Turtlemint –
- Visit https://www.turtlemint.com/two-wheeler-insurance/ and enter in your bike number to start. If you have bought a new bike, you can enter in the registration location and find the best policies without the registration number
- Thereafter you should enter in the details of your bike – make and model, year of manufacture, fuel type and variant
- Provide your contact details so that Turtlemint’s team can get in touch with you and help you choose the best coverage for your bike
- When you proceed, you would be shown the premium quotes of leading insurance companies.
- Compare the quotes in terms of the coverage offered by the policy, the Insured Declared Value and the premium rate.
- Choose the policy which has the best coverage benefits at the lowest premium rates
- You can also choose the desired add-ons to make your policy comprehensive
- Once you have finalized the coverage, click on ‘Buy’ and you would be directed to a new page
- Fill in your details and the details of your bike and pay the premium online to buy the policy instantly
- As soon as the premium is paid, the policy would be issued and you would get the soft copy of the policy on your email ID
How to renew Yamaha bike insurance plans?
Continuous renewals of Yamaha bike insurance plans are necessary so that you can enjoy non-stop coverage and also fulfil the legal requirement of having a bike insurance policy.
To renew your Yamaha insurance policy you can visit the website of the insurance company, enter in your policy details and renew the plan. The renewal premium should be paid online for renewing the policy instantly.
If you have bought the policy from Turtlemint, you can simply log into your account and renew the plan from Turtlemint’s platform itself. You can also switch your insurance company by comparing the list of bike insurance plans available for your bike on Turtlemint’s platform.
How to make a claim in Yamaha bike insurance policies?
In case of a claim under your Yamaha insurance plan, you have to follow specific steps to get your claim settled. These steps include the following
- Whenever a claim occurs, immediately inform the insurance company to register your claim. The company would issue a claim reference number using which you can track your claim in future
- If it is a third party claim, you should file a police FIR too. The claim would then be taken to the motor accidents tribunal. The tribunal would adjudge the compensation payable and once the judgement is passed, the insurance company would pay the claim directly to the third party
- If your Yamaha bike has been stolen, immediately file a police FIR. The police would try and trace your bike but if they fail, they would give you a non-traceable report. Submit this report to the insurance company to get your claim
- If your bike has been damaged, the insurance company would inform you of the nearest preferred garage for cashless repairs.
- If you take your bike to the preferred garage, the insurer’s surveyor would visit the garage and inspect the damages
- The surveyor would file a report with the insurance company of the expected claim amount and based on the report the company would approve cashless repairs
- Once approval is received, the garage would repair your bike and the bills would be settled by the insurance company
- If, however, you take your bike to a non-networked garage, you would have to get the bike repaired yourself by bearing all the expenses. Thereafter, you should submit the repair bills to the insurance company and the company would reimburse you for the costs incurred
If you feel that the claim process is difficult, you can also take Turtlemint’s help. Turtlemint has an expert claim handling team which would coordinate with the insurance company on your behalf and get your claims settled. You just have to register your claim with Turtlemint by calling its toll-free helpline 1800 266 0101 or by sending them an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. The team would, then, get in touch with you and help you with your claim settlement.
To get your bike insurance claim settled, you need to submit the following documents to the insurance company
- The claim form, filled and signed by you
- Driving license
- RC book of the bike
- PUC certificate of the bike
- Police FIR if you are filing a third party or theft claim
- A non-traceable report issued by the police for a theft claim
- Your identity proof
Copy of the policy bond
Insured Declared Value, called IDV in short, represents the value of your bike after factoring in depreciation based on the bike’s age. This is the maximum value for which the insurance company covers your bike. IDV is calculated by deducting the market price of the bike by depreciation. The rate of depreciation for IDV computation is as follows
|Age of the bike
|Up to 6 months
|More than 6 months but less than 1 year
|More than a year but less than 2 years
|More than 2 years but less than 3 years
|More than 3 years but less than 4 years
|More than 4 years but less than 5 years
No, you will not. Once the due date expires and you do not renew the policy, the coverage lapses. In such cases, there is no effective coverage on your bike and if you suffer an accident, you would have to bear the financial liability.
No, the full claim amount is not paid by the insurer even if you choose the zero depreciation add-on. There is a component of compulsory deductible in all bike insurance policies which represent the claim amount payable by you. This deductible is mandatory and the insurer would deduct this deductible from the claim amount. So, you would have to pay this deductible amount yourself.
You can buy as many add-ons as you need. There is no limitation on the number of add-ons that you can select. You can choose the required add-ons as per your coverage needs.