If you own a vehicle and you wish to drive the vehicle on Indian roads, you need a driving license. A driving license is a license which authorizes you to drive the vehicle. It is, therefore, an authorized document which is issued by the Indian government, allowing you to ride or drive your vehicle such as a car, bike etc. A driving license can be of various types depending on the main purpose for which it is being issued and the type of vehicle for which the license is being issued. Let’s have a look at the different types of driving licenses which are available in India –
Types of driving licenses in India
There are four main types of driving licenses which you can avail. These licenses are as follows –
- Learner’s license
This type of driving license is issued to individuals who are applying for a driving license for the first time. A learner’s license is issued before the issuance of a permanent driving license. When you apply for a driving license, you would get a learner’s license which would be valid for up to 6 months. Thereafter, a permanent driving license would be issued authorizing you to drive the vehicle unattended.
- Permanent license
A permanent license is the second license which is issued to individuals who apply for a driving license. A permanent license is issued to individuals holding a learner’s license. To avail a permanent driving license, you should be aged 18 years and above and you should have cleared the driving exam. You can apply for the license online and the process is, therefore, simple. A permanent driving license is allowed for private vehicles which are used for personal use.
- Commercial driving license
A commercial driving license, as the name suggests, is issued to drivers of commercial vehicles like cabs, trucks, buses, etc. The license allows individuals to drive heavy goods carrying vehicles as well as a passenger-carrying vehicle. The eligibility criterion for availing a commercial driving license is different and individuals are required to have passed Class VIII to apply for the license.
- International driving permit
This is not exactly a driving license but a permit which allows you to rent and drive a vehicle in international countries. An international driving permit is allowed only to individuals who already have a permanent driving license. The international driving permit is valid only for one year from the date of issuance and needs to be renewed if you want to continue driving a vehicle in international countries.
Different categories of driving licenses based on vehicle class
Other than the types, there are different categories of driving license in India which are based on the type of vehicle for which the license is being issued. The different classes of driving licenses based on vehicle types are as follows:
- Motorcycle 50 CC — Motorcycles having the engine capacity of 50 cc or less
- MC EX50CC or Motorcycle more than 50cc — Motorcycles and Light Motor Vehicle car
- MC without Gear or M/CYCL.WOG (Motorcycle Without Gear) — Motorcycles and Scooters without gears
- Motorcycles or Scooters of any engine capacity, with or without gears with an engine capacity of 50CC or more
- MC With Gear or M/CYCL.WG (Motorcycle with Gear) — Motorcycles
- LMV-NT or Light Motor Vehicle—Non-Transport — Used for only personal
- LMV-TR or Light Motor Vehicle—Transport — for commercial transportation with light goods carrier
- LMV or Light Motor Vehicle — for cars, jeeps, taxis, delivery vans
- LDRXCV or Loader, Excavator, Hydraulic Equipment—For Commercial purpose of all hydraulic heavy equipment
- HMV or Heavy Motor Vehicle – A person having an LMV vehicle driving licence is qualified only to apply for heavy motor driving licence
- HPMV or Heavy Passenger Motor Vehicle- Heavy passenger vehicles
- HTV or Heavy Goods Motor Vehicle, Heavy Passenger Motor Vehicle- Heavy Transport Vehicle
- TRANS (Heavy Goods Motor Vehicle, Heavy Passenger Motor Vehicle)
- TRAILERE — A person having a heavy vehicle driving licence is qualified to apply for heavy trailer licence
Issuance of driving license
The regional transport office or the RTO is the main government authority that is tasked with the issuance of a driving license. The RTO takes care of the entire system of licensing which includes authenticating and scrutinizing the driver’s license form, commonly known as DL form, together with the issuance of the drivers’ proof of identity card.
What is a driving license form?
You will have to get a driving license form if you wish to apply for a driving license in India. A driving license application form is an application form that is essential to get a driving license. It is also considered as identification for driving the vehicle anywhere in India. An important point to note that a driving license form is also needed to renew, substitute the lost license or to have a duplicate license.
You can acquire the application form at the nearby RTO/RTA. Otherwise, several states in India have made it simple for all of us to apply for the driver’s licence online. You can just take the application form from the official website of the respective RTO. Once you download the form is you can easily fill the same at your ease and submit the form at the RTO office with other essential documents.
Information about different driving license form
It is important for you to know the types of driving license forms available in India so that you can get the form as per your requirement and do the needful. There are various kinds of driving license forms which are available in an RTO office and is applicable for different kind of aspects of applying for a driving license.
Let us see below the different types of driving license forms and their applications one by one.
- Form 1
Form 1 is called the Application-cum-declaration as to physical fitness. This form is filled in by individuals applying for a driving license. Through the form, the applicant declares that he/she is physically fit to avail a driving license and drive a vehicle. The form is divided into two segments where the first section contains the details of the applicant like his/her name, date of birth details of parents and spouse, permanent address, identification symbols etc. The second segment contains details about physical fitness. The applicant has to answer in yes or no about different fitness-related questions contained in the second segment. Once the form is filled, the applicant should sign the form or put in his/her thumb impression.
- Form 1A
This is a medical certificate which is required to be filled in by a registered medical practitioner who has been appointed by the State Government. The form supplements the physical fitness form submitted by the applicant under Form 1. Both Form 1 and 1A together prove that the applicant is physically capable to apply for a driving license. The medical practitioner is supposed to fill up Form 1A, sign it and put his registration number. Moreover, the applicant’s signature or thumb impression is also required on the form.
- Form Number 2
This particular Driving licence application form is for getting a Learner’s License which is a must before getting a permanent driving license as mentioned above. You will have to give your full personal details, for example, name, address for both current and permanent, date of birth, age, educational credentials, specific identification symbols, blood group, etc. You can also put an application forward for allowing extra time for the driving test with the same form.
- Form Number 4
Post receiving a learner’s license, you will have to make an application for a permanent driving license formnumber 4. You will have to make sure that you apply after 30 days of getting a learner’s license 180 days earlier.
With the Driving licence application form number 4, you need to furnish the subsequent documents mentioned below:
- Nationality Proof
- Citizenship Proof
- 1 photograph- passport-sized
- If you are a professional driver, then you need the original certificate from the respective motor training school where from you have undertaken the training,
You would also need to give a practical exam where you will be asked to drive the particular vehicle for which you have applied for the driving license. If you pass the test, RTO representatives will issue the permanent driving license after authenticating the submitted documents. For procuring the license for motorcycles also the same process is applicable.
- IDP or Form Number 4A
This particular Driving licence application form is an application for getting an International Driving Permit (IDP) to allow you to drive in foreign lands. This type of license is issued from various regional offices of the department of transport and is valid for 1 year with a fee of INR 1000.
- Form Number 8
This particular Driving licence application form is an application for your change in address in case you are relocated or moved to a different city. It is important for you to inform the RTO about your new address. You will have to visit and submit to the RTO the current driving license, proof of new, with photographs. The request will be processed after the payment of the requisite fee.
- Form Number 9
The driving license has to be renewed before its expiry date and It is a punishable offence to drive the vehicle with an expired driving license. The expired driving license is renewable within 5 years. Form number 9 is the Driving licence application form for renewal of a driving license which needs to be deposited by you with your present driving license, 2 copies photographs, age proof, residence proof and the requisite charge to the RTO. If you are more than 40 years, you will have to submit a medical certificate in Driving licence application form Number 1 with the documents as mentioned. If you are applying for the renewal of license for the heavy type of motor vehicles, then you will have to provide a training certificate.
This particular Driving licence application form is an application for a duplicate driving license and is applicable in 3 situations first when you lose the driving licence, second if the license is stolen and third is if your license is damaged. The objective of this form is to notify the respective authority regarding the loss of your current driver’s licence with a copy of the FIR. You will have to give details like the applicant name, details of parents and spouse, address, lost drivers licence number, issuing authority mentioning the situations how the license was lost. In the end, the form requires your signature or thumb impression.
Filling up a driving license form
As you have seen above, though there are different types of Driving licence application form, however, there are certain fields which are very common and found in all type of forms. Below mentioned are a comprehensive type of sections which are present in all Driving licence application form for your reference so that you know the same and fill up without much hassle –
Common fields of the Driving licence application form
- Vehicle Type: You must choose the type of the category of vehicle which he or she is getting the driving licence. For example light motor vehicle, a motorcycle with or without gear etc
- Your Details: Your details need to be filled correctly. These include your full name, permanent address, details of parents, date and place of birth, educational credentials, blood group Identification spots, the status of citizenship, etc.
- Confirmation if you had any past history of legal conviction: If the answer is yes, then you need to give full details.
- Confirmation if you had a past driving license: If the answer is yes, then full details should be given by you.
- Confirmation if you were not qualified to get a driving license: If the answer is yes, then you must state the reason.
- Confirmation if you gave fitness test: If the answer is yes, then details should be given by you regarding test date, the concerned authority with the outcome of the test.
Other than above, validation needed for submitting of your essential documents like medical certificate, learners’ licence, photographs, fees, application date, signature or the thumb imprint of the candidate.
The next segment is about the Certificate for Test of Competence for Driving where the details of the driving test outcome should be given.
List of documents for applying for a Driving license
For all the above forms there are certain documents which you have to submit along with the Driving License application form. Below is the list of those documents
- Learner’s Licence
- Proof of address: Any one of the following documents can be submitted as proof of address-
- Ration card
- Voters’ Identity Card
- Aadhaar Card
- Life insurance policy
- Utility bills like telephone bill, electricity etc.
- State or Central Government issued payslip
- Own House Agreement
- Proof of age: It can be any one of the following:
- Pan Card
- Aadhaar Card
- School matriculation certificate
- Voter’s identity card
- Birth certificate
- Driving school certificate (for transport vehicle driving licence applicants)
- All relevant documents of the vehicle to be used for the driving test
- Passport-sized photograph
- Additional documents:
- 3 passport size photographs when applying for a learner’s license
- 3 passport size photographs when applying for a permanent driving licence
- Application charge
- Properly filled application form
- For aspirants above 40 years, a medical certificate is necessary
Now as an applicant of a driving license, you know which form you will need and for what purpose and you can go ahead to collect the form and follow the necessary process. Make sure you are collecting the right form and filling it up correctly with all your details as required.