Driving is always very interesting and to many of us it is a passion. Driving your own has a separate kind of excitement whether in your own home country or abroad. While driving in your home country in India is open to you easily, many of you who are travelling outside the country must be often wondering what to do if you want to drive in foreign lands as well. Here is a simple solution to this concern. You can apply for an International Driver’s License which will lawfully allow you to drive in foreign lands as well.International Driver’s Permit is a legal travel document which is authorised by the United Nations issued to all tourists who are travelling to different foreign countries. International Driver’s License is the official permission of your driver’s license issued in your home country. Let us see how you will apply for the international permit and the procedure to get the same. International Drivers’ License is amongst the 4 4 main types of Driving License which are namely:
- Learner’s Drivers’ license
- Permanent Drivers’ License
- Commercial Drivers’ License
- International Drivers’ License
International Drivers’ License authorizes you to rent and drive a vehicle in overseas countries. An important point to note here is that this permit needs to be used along with your permanent driving license. The main purpose of this type of license is to drive without any hassle in any foreign land. The validity of International Drivers’ License is for one year after which you will have to apply for the same again.
Advantages of International Driving Permit
As an International Drivers’ License holder you have several advantages which can be stated below:
- International Drivers’ License might be utilized as an identity proof document in many nations
- No extra driving exams are required in foreign countries
- International Drivers’ License is valid proof that you hold an authentic driving licence in the country where the same was issued. As explained above, International Driving Permit also endorses the fact that you are eligible to drive in any foreign land
- International Drivers’ License is accepted in more than 150 nations worldwide who are the participants to the agreement
- The biggest advantage of International Driving Permit is the manifold languages like English, French, Spanish, Russian, Arabic, Chinese, Scandinavian, Portuguese and others published in International Drivers’ License which makes acceptable worldwide and also helps the authorities in foreign countries to confirm and authenticate the information about you as an International Drivers’ License holder
- International Drivers’ License helps Indians to drive cars on rent without any trouble.
Foreign nationals residing in India, or Indian citizens who live in another foreign land can also use their International Drivers’ License to drive in India. An international driving license covers the name of the country where it was issued and also the visa number of the license holder. As an Indian national, you should know that the country’s driving license can be used in other countries as well. And hence the acceptance of an International Drivers’ License is huge and therefore globally recognized.
Procedure on how to apply for International Drivers’ License Offline & Online
An important point to note here is that only Indian citizens are eligible to apply for an international driver’s license through an Indian transportation authority. And hence you need to submit the application form and necessary documents physically to the respective RTO or you can apply online as well. Below is the stepwise guidance for you as to how to apply for International Drivers’ License
Stage 1: Filling up the International Drivers’ License forms
You will get the Form Number 4 which is the application form for the Issuance of International Driving Permit from any RTO upon payment of certain fees mentioned below in the fee section
Stage 2: Submission of the necessary requirements
You will have to submit the below-required documents:
- International Driving License Form 4
- Your permanent driving license
- Proof of Address
- Original Passport including the xerox
- Valid visa
- Medical certificate from RTO office
- A written letter stating the reason as to why you need the International Driving Permit
- 4 recent photographs
Step 3: Payment of application fee
Post completion of the above you will have to pay the application fee for the license. The license will be sent to your registered address or you can visit the RTO office and collect it physically as well.
You can submit the application online as well and you will have to follow the below steps
- You will have to visit the official website https://sarathi.parivahan.gov.in/sarathiservicecov15/dlServicesDet.do
- You will have to fill in the driving license number, date of birth and type of driving license and submit the request to the respective RTO
- All the necessary information to be filled by you as up as per the requirements and need to be submitted together with uploading of the necessary documents
- After the above step, the application number will be generated which needs you to take a print out of and submit to the respective RTO together with the payment of the requisite fee
Fee for Applying for Driving License
Below is the quick view of the fees that you are required to pay while applying for a driving license in India for your reference.
|Type of License||Charges (INR)|
|Fees for Driving License||200|
|Fees for Driving License Renewal||200|
|Fees for Learner’s License||200|
|Fees for Learner’s License Renewal||200|
|Fees for Test for Driver’s License||300|
Fees for International Driving Permit
The fee or the charges for an International Driving Permit is INR 1000 for one licence. As mentioned above, you will have to make the payment at the time of submitting the documents and application form.
Documents required for International Drivers’ License:
You must be thinking that the documents for this process are very lengthy, but it is not all complicated and huge. It’s simple documentation which you will have to follow. The parameters and eligibility for International Drivers’ License are the same across the countries. Maximum countries impose a nominal charge which differs from each country. The basic criteria are:
- You must be more than 18 years
- You must hold a valid and authentic Driving license
- You must submit the required form together with 3 photographs of passport-sized
Indian applicant like us need to submit added documents which are as below:
- Form Number 4 as mentioned above
- A duplicate copy of a valid driving license
- A duplicate copy of passport with visa
- Air Tickets copies
- Medical Certificate
- Application charge of INR 1000
- 5 Photographs- passport-sized
- Proof of Indian citizenship
- Address proof
- Age proof
International Driving Permit and its Renewal in India
Now let us see the renewal process for you to understand how and in what way an International Drivers’ Licenseis to be renewed. As mentioned above, an International Drivers’ License issued is effective for one year. Point to note here is if you were issued your driving license within 3 months’ time of your International Drivers’ License application, you will have to undergo the driving test again for the 2nd time. Furthermore, The International Drivers’ License is issued for all licenses which fall under the authority of the RTO or the RTA where the initial application was made. Also, another important point to note that address in your driving license must be your current address, especially if you have shifted from one state to the other.
Form 4A and a quick link for “international drivers’ license form”
Where to get the form number 4? You don’t have to worry at all. You can just visit the below official website and access the required Form Number 4A for applying for International Drivers’ License. Also, a sample of the mentioned form is attached for your quick reference. The form is very easy and simple to fill up and therefore will not be a hassle for you. https://parivahan.gov.in/parivahan/sites/default/files/DownloadForm/form4a.pdf
So, what are you waiting to travel abroad? If your travelling to a foreign land is confirmed and you want to drive as well, plan well and get your international drivers’ license beforehand so that you can enjoy your ride in foreign countries as much as you enjoy driving in your homeland without any worries and concerns.
In India, driving licences are valid for 20 years from the issue date or till the holder attains 50 years of age, whichever is earlier. Driving Licence for commercial vehicles is valid for up to 3 years.
You will be allotted the International Driving License within 2 to 7 working days from the time of completing the application.
International Drivers’ License is valid for 1 year from the issue date. You can apply for another International Driving License post the validity expires.
Yes, you can, if you have a lawful motorcycle or a license for a two-wheeler in your native country, you are eligible to rent as well as ride a two-wheeler vehicle with International Drivers’ License