In India, the two most important documents which are considered as a proof of identity are Voter Identity Card and Aadhaar Card.
What is the Voter’s Card?
The Voter Identity Card issued to you by the Election Commission of India to Indian citizens above 18 years of age allows you to cast your vote in various elections held in the country like your city, State and therefore for the country.The Election Commission of India issues a Voter Identity Card to people who would like to enrol themselves in the electoral list. And thus, your Voter Identity Card is considered to be an authorized and legal proof of identity.
Importance of Voter’s ID Card:
Your voter ID allows you to vote for a preferred political candidate to lead your city, State and, ultimately, your nation. India is a democratic country where the Government is formed by the people of India. To form a Government the citizens of India cast their votes and the candidate who is able to get the majority of votes forms the Government. As such, you have the power to decide the leadership of your country and the power can be exercised only if you have a voter’s ID card in your name. The Election Commission of India issues a Voter ID Card to individuals who enrol themselves in the electoral list. The Voter ID card, then, becomes a legal proof of identity for individuals. Just like a Voter ID card, there is another legal identity proof which the Government of India introduced.
What is the Aadhar Card?
On the other hand, Aadhaar Card is a unique number which is issued to Indian citizens including the children as well as the infants, basis their biometric data like fingerprints, eye scan etc and demographic information. Both the legal documents are important tools and hence Government of India has taken the step to link Voter id to Aadhaar card. An Aadhar Card which contains a unique 12-digit number assigned to each citizen of India who enrols for the card. This number helps in identifying the individual. Moreover, since the Aadhar card also contains the biometric details of the individual making sure that no two individuals have the same Aadhar number to their name.
Both Aadhar Card and Voter ID Card are important tools and so the Government introduced the concept to link Voter ID to Aadhar. Let’s understand about this linking in details –
What is linking of Voter ID to Aadhar?
Linking of Voter ID to Aadhar is a process in which an individual holding a valid voter ID card can link the details of his Voter ID card to his Aadhar Card. The Aadhar card would, therefore, store the voting details of the individual when the linking is done.
To link Voter ID to Aadhar is a method in which a person having a valid Voter Identity Card can link his or her details of the card to his or her Aadhaar Card. Hence, by linking both the cards, all the details for the individual will be stored in one place. The process to link Voter id to Aadhaar card is also known as EPIC which stands for Electoral Photo Identification Card.
Why should you link Voter ID to Aadhar?
The Government of India introduced the concept to link Voter ID to Aadhar to eliminate the possibility of duplicate voters. It was seen that a single individual held more than one Voter ID card in his name thereby giving rise to bogus electorates. Since the Aadhar Card contains the biometric details of individuals, it is impossible to have more than one card for a single individual. Thus, when the Aadhar card is linked to the Voter ID card of the individual, the possibility of the individual voting with more than one Voter ID card would be eliminated. This would result in the elimination of bogus voters and would ensure a fair election. Thus, to contribute towards a fair election process, you should link Voter ID to Aadhar.
Since the Aadhaar Card holds the biometric facts of an individual, it is nearly impossible to have more than one Aadhaar Card for one single person. Not only this, but the intent of this process of linking will lessen the possible black money movement in the economy as well. Chances of frauds and duplication of documents will be nearly impossible. These are the reasons why the Government of India has taken the step of linking voter’s identity card with Aadhaar card. For now, this process is not compulsory, but we as a responsible citizen must cooperate with the Government and link our Voter id to Aadhaar card.
Now that you know the importance of linking the above mentioned two important identity documents, let us see how to link voter id with Aadhaar card. The process is simple and easy to follow. We will now take you through the various process to link voter id to Aadhaar card.
Details required to link Voter ID to Aadhaar
To link your Aadhaar card to your Voter ID, the following details would be required –
- Aadhaar card number
- Voter ID Card number which is called the EPIC number
- Registered mobile number
How to Link Voter ID with Aadhar?
There are different ways in which you can link Voter ID to Aadhar. These ways have been provided so that you can choose the most convenient way of linking your Voter ID card to Aadhar. You can link Voter ID to Aadhar online, offline, through phone and even through an SMS. Let’s understand the processes
- How to link Voter ID to Aadhar online?
You can link Voter ID to Aadhar online through the National Voter’s Service Portal www.nvsp.in. The National Voter Service Portal or NVSP was launched in the year 2015 with a goal to have several services under one umbrella for voters. Under this online platform, you can easily go ahead and link voter id to Aadhaar card.
The portal allows you to search for your electoral details and also verify your details of Voter ID card online. To link Voter ID to Aadhar through the National Voter’s Service Portal (NVSP), the process is as follows –
- Visit the portal and find your electoral details. To do so you would have to enter in your name, State, district, constituency, date of birth, father’s or husband’s name, etc.
- When the details are entered, choose ‘Search’
- If your details match the details registered in the Election Commission’s database you would be able to check all the details of your Voter ID Card
- On the page where the details are shown, there would be an option of ‘Feed Aadhar Number’
- Choose this option and a pop-up window would open
- In this window, enter in your name as contained in the Aadhar card, the Aadhar card number, the EPIC number contained in your Voter ID Card, registered mobile number and/or your registered email ID
- After you have entered all the details, click ‘Submit’ and you would get a message stating that your application to link Voter ID to Aadhar has been submitted successfully
- Your details would, then, be verified and once they are authenticated, your voter ID card would be linked to your Aadhar Card.
- How to Link Voter ID with Aadhar offline?
You can also link Voter ID to Aadhar offline by visiting the Booth Level Office and by submitting your linking application to the Booth Level Officer. The Booth Level Office can be located online on the National Voter’s Service Portal. At the office, fill up and submit an Aadhar link form along with the copies of your Voter ID Card and your Aadhar card. The Booth Level Officer would, then, verify the details of your Voter ID card and Aadhar card and then do the linking. The linking might take some time and once the linking is done you would be informed of the same.
- How to Link Voter ID with Aadhar through phone?
There is a helpline number that provides Voter ID Card linked services. The number is 1950 and it also helps you to link Voter ID with Aadhar. You can call the number anytime between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. on weekdays. You would, then, have to provide your Voter ID number and your Aadhar Card number to complete the linking. The information given by you will be authenticated, after which you will be informed about the completion of the process. Once the linking is done you would be informed.
- How to Link Voter ID with Aadhar through SMS
SMS facility is also allowed to individuals so that they can link Voter ID with Aadhar.
The below steps will help you to do so.
- You need to send an SMS from your registered cell number to 166 or 51969
- The message format must be ECILINK < EPIC Number > < Aadhaar Number >
Let us take an example for your clear understanding, ECILINK 123456789ABC 6789123456, where “123456789ABC” is your Aadhaar card number and “6789123456” is your Voters Identity Number
After the message is delivered, you would get an acknowledgement message on the same number. Thereafter, once your Voter ID Card is linked to Aadhar, you would get a confirmation message on your phone number.
Things to remember
When you link Voter ID to Aadhaar keep the following aspects in mind so that the linking is done easily –
- Your Aadhaar card number and EPIC number should be entered correctly at the time of linking. An error in either of these numbers would result in a failure in linking Aadhaar to your Voter ID. So, double-check these numbers when entering them
- A registered mobile number is essential to complete the linking process if you are linking online, through your phone or through an SMS. Your mobile number should be registered with your Aadhaar card so that the OTP can be successfully received which would allow you to link your Voter ID to Aadhaar
If the linking fails due to any reason, you can attempt to link again.
So, make your Aadhar card your central database which records all your other details. Link Voter ID with Aadhar and help the Government to weed out bogus voters and ensure a fair election.