In India, Aadhaar is a vital document to prove the identity of an individual and a unique identification number issued to the citizens of India by the central government. Aadhaar is administered and issued by UIDAI -Unique Identification Authority of India. Aadhaar is intended to add all the essential information in its record and authenticate the details of each resident Indian comprising their name, date of birth, address, contact number, photo and also their biometric particulars. Aadhaar card has now become one of the most vital government identity documents for any citizen of India. Let us understand in brief what is an aadhaar.
What is an Aadhaar?
Aadhaar Card is a unique 12- digit identification number that is issued to all Indian citizens regardless of their age and gender, based on their biometric data, like their fingerprints, eye scan, etc and their demographic statistics. Issued by the UIDAI, the Aadhaar Card is now one of the most important documents for proving the identity of any person. Furthermore, other than treating this card as a proof of identity, the card is also used as a proof of address of any individual. Also, the card may be used for various purposes like for availing government subsidies, opening of your bank account, for availing the government grants, for applying for a loan and a lot of other facilities. Amongst quite a few documents issued by the Government of India for varied purposes, popularity and demand for the Aadhaar Card stands strong and is increasing day by day.
Context and importance of UBI aadhaar link
Linking of bank accounts is a crucial initiative which has been taken by the Government of India. Although, there were several arguments for and against the notion, however, following this process of linking will definitely help in the long run is what the Indian Government stated. This initiative will support in eradicating all the false identities and will give precise data to use the service distribution system judiciously. All Government benefits will be credited through the bank accounts that are linked to your Aadhaar or your UID number Also, another logic behind implementing this practice is to combat money laundering, the biggest concern in today’s world. Aadhaar’s uniqueness will help the government to identify the money launderers and linking the bank accounts with aadhaar will help the government to catch them and take necessary actions against them.And, henceforth linking your bank account with your aadhaar is very important.
UBI Bank, one of the biggest government-owned banks of India, has introduced the necessary process of UBI aadhaar link, by which the UBI account holders will be able to link their accounts with their Aadhaar number.
What is the UBI aadhaar link process?
UBI aadhaar link is a method by which a person having a UBI Bank account, can link his or her account details to their Aadhaar Card. By doing the UBI aadhaar link, all the details for that person will be stored in a safe warehouse.
UBI Bank allows you with several ways to do a UBI aadhaar link. Here, we will take you through the UBI aadhaar link processes and understand the steps for each of these methods.
How to do United Bank of India aadhaar link?
UBI aadhaar link can be done in 7 different ways. Here are the below steps mentioned for your reference for each of these methods:
- UBI aadhaar link via the website: You can simply visit UBI’s official website link https://union-bank-of-india-online-kyc-updation.pdffiller.com/ and download the re-KYC form and get your aadhaar linked to your UBI bank accounts. As per RBI guiding principle, banks can ask for Re-KYC at a systematic interval and keep their records up-to-date. You can fill up the re-KYC/KYC form with all details that have got changed and furnish your aadhaar number and the same will be updated in the UBI’s records and visit any UBI branch and submit all the applicable documents.
- UBI aadhaar link via online: You can visit https://eremit.unionbankofindia.co.in/linkaadhaar/GUIs/unionaadhaar.aspx and fill-up the form. The steps are as follows:
Step 1:Visit UBI’s official website -refer the above link
Step 2:Enter your 15-digit account number
Step 3: Re-enter your 15-digit account number
Step 4: Fill up your name
Step 4: Enter your 12-digit Aadhaar number
Step 5: Re-enter your 12-digit Aadhaar Number to confirm
Step 6: Fill up your name as per your aadhaar card
Step 7: Submit your contact details- your mobile number and your email address
Step 8: Click on the Submit key
Step 9: Your Aadhaar would be linked with your UBI Bank account
- UBI aadhaar link via ATM: UBI also allows you to do UBI aadhaar link through a UBI ATM. You need to follow the simple steps as mentioned below:
Step 1:Visit any nearest UBI Bank ATM
Step 2:Swipe your ATM/ Debit card and select your preferred language
Step 3: Enter your card PIN
Step 4: Select the option stating “Services”
Step 5: Click on another option of “Requests”
Step 6: Now, select the option of “Link Aadhaar”
Step 7: Enter your 12-digit Aadhaar Number
Step 8: Re-enter your 12-digit Aadhaar Number and confirm
Step 9: Your Aadhaar will be linked with your UBI account
- UBI aadhaar link via Mobile App: UBI customers with mobile banking facility can use U-Mobile app to do UBI aadhaar link. Follow the easy steps as mentioned below:
Step 1log in to your U-mobile app with your login id and password
Step 2:Click on the option of “Other Services”
Step 3: Select the “Requests” option
Step 4: Click “Link Aadhaar with your account”
Step 5: Now, enter your Aadhaar number two times and click on the “Submit” button
Step 6: Submit your request
Step 7: Your Aadhaar will be linked with your bank account after proper authentication
- UBI aadhaar link via Phone Banking and IVR: You can call the customer care numbers 1800 22 22 44 / 1800 208 2244 which is available 24*7*365 and seek support for doing UBI aadhaar link.
- UBI aadhaar link via Offline: You can also visit any of the nearestUBI branches has to do your aadhaar and bank account linking. Also, remember that UBI is one of the “Registrars” for Aadhaar enrolment and you can enrol yourself for Aadhaar if you do not possess one. Below are the simple steps to link your bank account with Aadhaar:
Step 1:Visit your nearest UBI branch
Step 2:Fill in the linking form and write your account number and aadhaar number carefully
Step 3: Attach a self-attested copy of your Aadhaar
Step 4: Submit the form with your original Aadhaar card to the bank officer
Step 5: Your aadhaar will be verified and then your request will be accepted
Step 6: Your aadhaar number will be linked with your UBI account successfully within 4-5 business days
- UBI aadhaar link via SMS: UBI Bank also provides the facility of aadhaar and bank account linking simply by an SMS. Note that your cell number must be registered with the bank. Below are the easy steps for this:
Step 1: Type the message in the below format
UID>space>15-digit UBI account number>space>12-digit Aadhaar>
Step 2: Send the SMS to 09223008486
Step 3: You will receive a confirmation message upon successful linking of your Aadhaar with your bank account after 4-5 working days
Documents needed to do UBI aadhaar link
You would need the following things to do UBI aadhaar link:
- Your Aadhaar card and a self-attested photocopy
- Registered cell number
- Net banking ID and password
Fee for UBI aadhaar link
You need not pay anything for doing a UBI aadhaar link.
Important points to remember under UBI aadhaar link
UBI Bank customers who wish to link their Aadhaar to their bank account must keep a few things in mind before the process of linking. Check the below points to remember while doing a UBI aadhaar link
- According to the Supreme Court verdict, it is not obligatory to link your Aadhaar with your UBI bank account anymore. However, still, if you wish to do so, you do UBI aadhaar link
- Remember to get your net banking ID and password while internet banking to do UBI aadhaar link.
- Your name in Aadhaar card must match with your name as recorded in the UBI’s database
- If there is a mismatch in your name, you need to personally visit your nearest branch to link your Aadhaar with your UBI bank account
- The procedure of Aadhaar seeding can take up to 5 business days
- Do not share your UBI bank account details or your aadhaar card number with somebody who is offering the service of Aadhaar linking over a phone call.No one can call and ask you for your Aadhaar number or UBI bank details on the reason of Aadhaar linking and this is a probable phishing call. And hence at no time, you must share your details. This is a UIDAI mandate as well as keeping in mind the safety and security of the aadhaar holders.
- If you are having multiple UBI bank accounts, you need to check the status of the same with UBI branch.
- Carry your original Aadhaar card to complete the process of verification when you are visiting any UBI branch.
Pros and Cons of UBI aadhaar link
There are many advantages which you may get when you do a UBI aadhaar link and they are as follows:
- Subsidies for commodity products like rice, sugar, kerosene, pulses and various other subsidized products will be transferred directly to your linked UBI bank account.
- Receipt of Direct Benefit Transfer or DBT of LPG Subsidy directly into your UBI bank account.
- Get direct credit of other Government subsidies like pensions, welfare funds, scholarships, MNREGA salaries etc. into your UBI bank account
- Students eligible for a scholarship from the government can obtain their money only if their UBI bank accounts are in their name and is linked with their Aadhaar number.
- The facility of very easy Aadhaar enabled payment systems -AEPS like
i) BHIM – Aadhaar Pay
ii) Aadhaar Based payment on biometric Micro ATM’s at BC’s
iii) UPI payments through Aadhaar
- Aadhaar Linked UBI accounts can be accessed across India and you may pull out funds whenever you require the same
- By linking your UBI bank account with your aadhaar number, you are also helping the government to do fairness in the service or benefits distribution.
Every system, however big or small, cannot be faultless. In spite of the banking system being enormously safe and protected, there is some lacuna which will be there and some disadvantages will be associated with it. Let us see some of those as below:
- As all important data of an individual are available in one single platform, this will enable the scrutiny procedure to be more minute unnecessarily
- Risk of data getting hacked and misused
- Bank account linking may be exposed to social hacks together with a risk of hacking his or her financial information as well
- Leaking of data becomes easy
So, now that you know how to do United Bank of India aadhaar link, it would not be difficult for you to follow the process and to do the needful. Do not worry about the security aspect as all banking transactions are secured and safe. But do follow the banks and other official guidelines diligently and enjoy the benefits.