The Government of India announced the platform of Aadhaar to provide every Indian citizen with a unique identification tool by which an individual can be easily recognized. Over the period of time, the Aadhaar card turns out to be a significant document that provided a person unified storage of his or her personal and biometric particulars. The Aadhaar card is issued by the Unique Identification Authority of India- UIDAI to all Indian resident who enrols for the card.
What is an Aadhaar?
Aadhaar is a 12-digit identification number issued by the UIDAI Authority to the citizens of India. An Individual who wishes to enrol himself or herself for an aadhaar needs to provide his or her minimum demographic and biometric information during the enrolment process. This is the only tool of its kind universally, where a high-tech digital and online ID is being given free of cost at such a huge scale to the public and has the probability to change the method of service delivery functioning in the country.
Background and importance of HDFC aadhaar link
The government of India has planned and started implementing the process of linking all bank accounts with aadhaar. The intention of this idea that it will help the government in wiping out all the duplications and fake identities thereby providing exact data to permit the application of many direct benefit schemes. Aadhaar linking with bank accounts will boost the economy in removing the false stakeholders and will help especially thepoor section of the society. Also, one more vital reason is to prevent money laundering, which is illegal and is a punishable offence as well. By doing this linking, tracking the accounts and monitoring will become easy which in turn will help to stop money laundering.Therefore, linking your bank account with your aadhaar is an important job.
And it is in the above line of thought process, HDFC Bank, a pioneer in private sector banking in India, has presented easy methods of HDFC aadhaar link, by which the HDFC account holders will be able to link their accounts with their Aadhaar number.
What is the HDFC aadhaar link process?
HDFC aadhaar link is a way by which any person having an HDFC Bank account, can link his or her account details to their Aadhaar Card. By doing the HDFC aadhaar link, the details for the individual will be kept in the government’s storehouse.
HDFC Bank provides you with several ways to do an HDFC aadhaar link. Here, we will take you through various HDFC aadhaar link methods and understand the steps under each of the processes.
How to link aadhaar with the HDFC bank account?
HDFC aadhaar link can be done in six different ways. Here are the below steps mentioned for your reference for each of these methods:
- HDFC aadhaar link via the website: You can simply visit HDFC Bank’s official website link https://v1.hdfcbank.com/assets/pdf/REKYC_Form_individual.pdf and download the re-KYC form to have your aadhaar linked to your HDFC bank accounts. As per RBI guidelines, Bank can ask for Re-KYC at regular intervals to have their records up-to-date. If any details of yours like your contact number, address, etc, have got changed or you may want to add your aadhaar in your account, you can simply fill up the re-KYC form and all details will be updated in the bank’s records via Re-KYC procedure. The steps are as follows:
- Step 1: Visit HDFC Bank’s official website
- Step 2: Download the re-KYC form
- Step 3: Fill up the necessary details with your aadhaar number
- Step 4: Submit the form to the branch
- Step 5: Your aadhaar will be linked to your account within 5-6 business days and you will receive a confirmation also about the same
- HDFC aadhaar link via net banking: You can use theInternet banking facility of HDFC Bank, to link your HDFC Bank accounts with your Aadhaar through this method. You need to have your net banking IDs from the bank before you go ahead with this facility. The steps are as follows:
- Step 1: Visit HDFC Bank’s official website: https://v1.hdfcbank.com/assets/popuppages/netbanking.htm
- Step 2: Login using your Internet Banking user ID and password
- Step 3: Under the “Accounts” option, choose “Request” section
- Step 4: Click on the “View/Update Aadhaar Number”
- Step 5: Next step is to select the account number which you want to link your Aadhaar number
- Step 6: Enter your Aadhaar number again and click on the option “Update”
- Step 7: Check all the details that you have filled in, and click on “Confirm” key and complete the linking procedure
- Step 8: Your Aadhaar would be linked with your HDFC Bank account
- HDFC aadhaar link via ATM: HDFC Bank also allows you to do HDFC aadhaar link through an HDFC Bank ATM. You need to follow the simple steps as mentioned below:
- Step 1: Visit any nearest HDFC Bank
- Step 2: Swipe your debit card and select your preferred language
- Step 3: Enter your debit card PIN
- Step 4: Select the option stating “More options”
- Step 5: Select “Link Aadhaar to your bank account” from the menu
- Step 6: Enter your 12-digit Aadhaar number
- Step 7: Re-enter your 12-digit Aadhaar Number and confirm
- Step 8: Click on the “Submit” key
- Step 9: Your Aadhaar will be linked with your HDFC Bank account
- HDFC aadhaar link via Mobile Banking: HDFC Bank customers have also provided the facility to do HDFC aadhaar link through the mobile banking. You need to follow a few easy steps as mentioned below:
- Step 1: Log in to Mobile Banking
- Step 2: Tap on the “Request” option under the “Accounts” section
- Step 3: Next is, click on “View/Update Aadhaar number”
- Step 4: Select the account which you want to link with your aadhaar
- Step 5: Enter your 12-digit Aadhaar number
- Step 6: Re-enter your aadhaar and click on “Update”
- Step 7: Submit your request
- Step 8: Your aadhaar number will be updated in our records within 3 to 4 working days.
- HDFC aadhaar link via Phone Banking and IVR: You as an HDFC Bank customer can take help from the HDFC phone banking and IVR to link your bank accounts with your Aadhaar. You may visit https://www.hdfcbank.com/personal/need-help/customer-careand get the customer care number for your location and do the needful.
- HDFC aadhaar link via Offline: HDFC Bank allows you to do the aadhaar seeding by visiting branch. Below are the simple steps to link your bank account with Aadhaar:
- Step 1: Visit your nearest HDFC Bank branch
- Step 2: Ensure to carry a self-attested copy as well as original Aadhaar card or e-aadhaar
- Step 3: You will be needed to fill an “Aadhaar Application” form to link Aadhaar card to your bank account
- Step 4: Mention your 12-digit Aadhaar number in the form
- Step 5: Do not forget to attach a self-attested copy of your Aadhaar
- Step 6: Submit the form with your original Aadhaar card to the bank officer
- Step 7: After the request is received and necessary verification, your Aadhaar or your UID number will be linked with your bank account in 5 working days
Documents needed to do HDFC aadhaar link
You would need the following things to do HDFC aadhaar link:
- Your Aadhaar card and a self-attested photocopy
- Registered mobile number
- Net banking ID and password
Fee for HDFC aadhaar link
You need not pay anything for doing an HDFC aadhaar link.
Important points to remember under HDFC aadhaar link
HDFC Bank customers who wish to link their Aadhaar to their bank account must keep a few things in mind before the process of linking. Check the below points to remember while doing an HDFC aadhaar link
- As per the Supreme Court verdict, it is not mandatory to link your Aadhaar with your bank account anymore. However, if you still want to do an HDFC aadhaar link, you can link your Aadhaar with your HDFC bank account.
- Do not share details of your bank account or your aadhaar number or any other critical data or information with anyone, calling and requesting to provide the service of Aadhaar linking services.No one can call you to ask you for your Aadhaar number or HDFC bank details or other financial details, on the pretext of Aadhaar linking and you must understand that this is a probable phishing call. This is also a strict instruction given by UIDAI also.
- Remember to get your net banking ID and password while internet banking to do the HDFC aadhaar link.
- Carry your original Aadhaar card to complete the process of verification when you are visiting any HDFC branch.
- If you are having multiple HDFC bank accounts, you need to check the status of the same with HDFC bank.
Advantages and Disadvantages of HDFC aadhaar link
There are certain advantages which you may get when you do an HDFC aadhaar link and they are as mentioned as below:
- The facility of receiving the Direct Benefit Transfer or DBT of LPG Subsidy directly into your HDFC bank account.
- Receive direct credit of other Government subsidies like pensions, welfare funds, scholarships, MNREGA salaries, etc. into your HDFC bank account
- Advantage of easy and user-friendly Aadhaar enabled payment systems (AEPS) like
- 1) BHIM – Aadhaar Pay
- 2) UPI payments through Aadhaar
- 3) Aadhaar Based expense on biometric Micro ATM’s at BC’s
- Students availing scholarship from the government can get his or her funds only if their HDFC bank accounts in his or her name and is linked with their Aadhaar number
- Subsidies for several commodity products like sugar, kerosene, rice, pulses and many other products whose prices are subsidized will also be credited directly to your aadhaar linked HDFC bank account
- Linked HDFC accounts are available all over the country and you can take out funds as an when needed
- Last but not the least, by doing HDFC aadhaar link, you will support the government to do a fair distribution of benefits and services and thereby moving towards a healthy economy
No scheme is faultless and accurate. Anyone who can do hacks your financial data is capable of doing many big things with a larger impact. Even though the banking system is enormously protected, but there are some disadvantages as well to do an HDFC aadhaar link. Let us see some of those as below:
- Since all important information of a person is obtainable in one single platform, this can make the process of scrutiny much easier
- Centralization of data in an Aadhaar upsurges the risks of data getting hacked
- Increase in the chances of information or data becomes to be misused by any person
- Bank account linking is susceptible to social hacks along with risk in a person’s financial data
Probabilities of data getting leaked
So, now that you know how to link aadhaar with HDFC bank account, it would not be problematic for you to follow the process and to do the needful. Do not worry and follow the bank’s guidelines and enjoy the benefits.